I think I like when it rains

Start from the beginning

"Hey, it's fine," Lily says calmly, getting up and tossing on a rain coat. "It's still early in the day, we can go to some shops now."

I follow her lead putting on my rain jacket, eternally thankful my cousin is as kind as she is. We head out of her room and down the stairs.

"Oi, where are you ladies off too?" Lily's father asks.

"Just off to pick up some last minute gifts," Lily answers, taking scarfs off the coat rack and handing one to me.

"Oh, Petunia, why don't you go with them?" Aunt Carol says in the kitchen.

"I'd rather break a finger then be around those freaks!" Petunia sneers.

"Alright then." I say, pressing my lips into a harsh line.

"Let's just go," Lily says meekly.

Slush crunches under my rain boots as we walk around the busy streets of Little Whinging. It's honestly a shabby little village, located in Surrey county, but all the people have kindness engraved onto their faces. Everyone knows each other, and everyone likes each other.

Again, something very different about the way Lily and I were raised.

I live in a small cottage on the water in Dedham, Essex. It's a beautiful town, my favourite part being the water-meadows, but it's quite large. All the people who live there are focused on themselves, not at all concerned with anyone else. Not even enough to smile when walking past someone in the street.

"Why don't we try this one first?" Lily says pointing to a sign outside a small shop.

Riley O'Conners Knicks and Knacks.

"Okay,"

My breath subtly hitches as we step inside. It's the kind of shop that you wondered about, going wherever you felt your soles moving towards. I can tell that even after hours of looking at antiques and gems from the past that rest on the shelves, you would still find more.

It smells of old books and vanilla, I want to drown in it.

"Do you have any idea what you want to get him?" Lily asks as her fingers run along a tall wooden bookshelf.

"No clue," I tell her, reading the spines of the books on the same shelf. She nods briefly and turns the corner.

After what feels like an hour of looking at trinkets and books I find two things Remus might enjoy. The cashier is a small, frail old woman with white hair and icy blue eyes. "Is that all, dear?"

"Yes, that's it," I say pulling some money from my wallet.

"Do you want to look anywhere else?" Lily whispers from besides me.

The woman finishes ringing up the price "Forty-seven, pounds. " I hand her the money with a forced smile. Are antique shops usually this fucking expensive?

"Sure, but I don't know how much more I can afford." I mutter back to Lily.

We spend the next few hours bouncing from shop to shop. To be honest, I didn't think I would like spending so much time with Lily but she's proven to be extremely entertaining.

"Wait! You want to go in here?!" I let out a barking laugh. We're currently standing outside of a lingerie store called Hers.

Lily blushes wildly, "Well-I need-"

I hold up my hand to cut her off, "Say no more you sly fox. I got the message loud and clear,"

☽☽☽

"Finally home!" Lily grunts as she face plants onto her makeshift bed. "I'll be back, I just have to phone my mom to tell her we made it home safe." She says, getting up and exiting the room.

I laugh quietly and set my bags down gently on the floor. I take out a quill and parchment as I sit down at her desk.

It's somewhat of a tradition to write my father letters on Christmas, even though I know he won't get them.

Dear Dad,

This year has been hard—harder than usual. I wish you were here so you could tell me the answers to all these burning questions I have. I'm at Lily's right now, surprise! We set whatever issue we had aside and now i'm spending Christmas here, I know you'd be ecstatic to hear it. I haven't talked to mum in a few months, but what else is new? I think she's spending Christmas with a friend, who knows at this point. Iris and Amos are doing good, as good as anyone can be doing, I guess. This war has really got everyone scared dad, including me. A lot has been scaring me lately and I feel like a disappointment for admitting it. Though, there is one thing—one person, who curbs my fears. I wish you could meet him. I miss you, always and forever.
Love,
Cordelia.

I hand my letter off to Lily's owl, "Dedham cemetery."

Lily comes back in with a plate full of biscuits, "Okay so here's what i'm thinking...tomorrow after we open gifts with Tunny and my parents, we have the boys over." Before I can speak she cuts me off, "Ah-ah-ah! Don't try and say no, it'll just be the marauders and us! Please?"

"Fine." I huff, seemingly un-phased. My stomach swirls with excitement to see Remus.  "I still can't believe I missed the part where you and James finally got together."

"Maybe you'll see the part where we get married. If he ever proposes," Lily sighs, eating a biscuit.

"You want to get married?" I ask, voice full of disbelief.

"Cordelia, we aren't like all the other witches and wizards. This sounds a bit morbid but, we don't know how much time we have left. I'd like to spend whatever time I do have married to James."

Huh. I look back out the window.

"I actually don't mind the rain yanno," I say.

"I know."

Filler chapter.

Song: I think I like when it rains by WILLIS—I so recommend.