Black bird

"Black bird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive."

FULL MOON

"Ms. Evans?" Dumbledore's voice just barely registers in my head, "Do you understand?"

No. No, I don't understand.

I can't understand anything when my own bones feel too big for my body, threatening to rip through my skin. I respond to him by nodding absentmindedly, i'm preoccupied counting the cracks in the floor.

"I think i'm going to be sick again," I say, my voice hoarse.

Dumbledore, Flitwick and Pomfrey all come to a halt when I double over and vomit. If I wasn't so focused on making it to the dungeon I was being led to without passing out, I might be embarrassed.

I use the sleeve of my oversized long sleeve shirt to wipe my mouth as Flitwick mutters a cleaning charm under his breath, obviously wishing he were anywhere else.

"Sorry," I mumble to no one in particular.

Madame Pomfrey places a comforting hand on my shoulder, "The first one is always the worst, my dear."

"After this you'll be in complete control of your abilities" Dumbledore adds knowingly.

This brightens my mood slightly, no more nausea.

I try and pay special attention to where we are, It looks almost like a muggle prison. The walls, ceiling and floor are all made of black brick with a gloss to them, almost like they're wet. The only light that enters the dark halls is the moon pouring through the tiny barred windows that are almost comically close to the ceiling. A safety measure I assume.

We reach a large Metal door with a lock on the outside. Dumbledore inserts the key and with a loud click he pulls it open. A sinister shiver runs down my spine.

Tears well up in my eyes and I turn to Pomfrey, "Will you hold my wand for me?"

She nods with a small sympathetic smile, "I'll be here to get you as soon as the sun rises" she wipes a few stray tears off my cheeks and gently takes my wand from my grip.

"This will be difficult Ms.Evans but never impossible" Dumbledore says kindly.

I fight the urge to scream at him and tell him that's easy for him to say since he doesn't have to do it.

My body is basically dripping with sweat, every second that passes takes a great toll on me and I can feel all of it.

"Thank you," I quickly reply before stepping into the room.

There's a charmed lantern hanging from the ceiling that perfectly illuminates the small ratty cot shoved against the corner. My eyes land on large claw marks against the wall, "Professor? Was there another—" I turn around and discover all three of them are gone and the door is closed.

"Tosser," I scoff.

Unexpectedly, my arm convulses and I collapse to the floor in agony. Strangled screams leave my throat as it happens, again and again and again. My own bones are fracturing harshly to take a new form. I've never felt so betrayed.

With each crack of my limbs I cry out for something new, help, Dumbledore, Madame Pomfrey, my mother. It stops for a second and despite all my knowledge I pray that it's over. That this was all an elaborate, sick prank.