James looked at her. "Yes, Professor?"

"Gryffindor's previous Quidditch captain Emmie Davidson left school last year. Before leaving, she asked if she could choose who she wanted to pass down her role to. I was more than happy for her to do so."

At the mention of Quidditch, both Genevieve and Sirius stopped their laughing and turned to the professor with as much interest as they could. James sat up straighter in his seat. "Who did she choose?"

Genevieve could of sworn that she saw McGonagall's lips twitch upwards into a half-smile as she said, "You."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Much to everyone's surprise, James didn't boast once about becoming the new Quidditch captain hwile walking to their first class. He had been too in shock to even think of an ego boosting sentence. Everybody knew that he would find a way to brag about it later, but right now they were thankful that he was too busy gawking in surprise.

"I still can't believe it," James said lowly to himself.

"I can," Remus shrugged and glanced over at him. "It's like Peter said yesterday— you're the best Chaser that Gryffindor has ever had."

"I wasn't lying, either," Peter added, tailing on the end of Remus's sentence.

"Besides, it's not like Emmie chose you for the sake of it. She was a strict player, always wanted perfection. If she thought you were good then that's the highest compliment you can get," Sirius stated in a very matter–of–fact way.

"In other words, you'll make a good captain," Genevieve smiled.

It was only then when James snapped out of his bewildered chance. "I wasn't exactly doubting myself," commented James with a smug smile. "But I am grateful for your compliments."

Genevieve rolled her eyes and gave his shoulder a playful nudge. The group all turned to enter Professor Slughorn's classroom. They had potions first thing with the Slytherins.

Upon stepping over the classroom's threshold, Genevieve's senses were automatically hit with the overwhelming aroma of something savoury. It was both mouth-watering and eye-opening at the same time, and with every deep breath through her nose, she couldn't help but want more.

"Why does it smell so good in here?" Sirius said absentmindedly. He inhaled deeply before exhaling, seeming more relaxed after doing so.

"You smell it too?" Peter asked, looking over at Sirius.

Remus inhaled the air just like everybody else did, his eyebrows softening."It smells like—"

"—Lilies," James finished, although the scent he named was different to what Remus was about to say. "And it smells a bit like the outdoors after it's been raining."

A brilliant shade of scarlet spread across Remus's cheeks as his eyes went wide at the same time. It was only then when he realised what the focus of this lesson would be. Genevieve looked at him in confusion, not getting why he was flustered, but he avoided all eye contact with her.

Before Genevieve could disagree with James and tell him that it smelt completely different, she noticed Lily making her way over. It looked like her head was about to drop off her shoulders as she shook it 'no' frantically.