"If you want to know how reapers got onto this land you'll have to ask Annie."

"Is there anyone you wouldn't throw under the bus cuz?" Lan asked with a bit of disgust in his tone.

Andre frowned, that name sounded familiar. He remembered his mate talking about an Annie, someone she remembered with pain. There were only a few people his mate had ever cared about enough to allow to hurt her. since Annie wasn't part of her family that left...the gamma blood.

The female who'd been her friend until the moment Xander had chosen Claire over her. Just one more person who should've stood by his mate and yet had chosen to betray her.

Her chin firmed as she held it up with dignity and looked down her nose at her cousin. "Reapers are messengers of death, I'd never deal with them."

Lan met his gaze with a frustrated sigh. "This is getting us nowhere."

"It'd save us so much trouble if she's never seen again." Andre stared with his cold gaze meeting her tearful one.

"It wouldn't look good if the prince killed a pregnant luna now would it." Andre's gaze became flinty. So much for the distraught act she'd been putting on. "We all know that magic is cyclical, which means even though we retain ours because of your blood your blood has that magic because of our faith in you."

Five angry makes glared at her, hands balled. Vin and Lan looked at her like she'd grown a second head, like they didn't know her. Andre though was reminded of the conversation he'd had with his grandmother before hunting this female down. And what had happened after.

I shouldn't have listened to you." He'd accused as he paced past the queen. "Cari would be safe right now if I'd just followed my instincts instead of your plan."

"Andreas..."

"No! We would've still been in the mating cottage if I'd ripped the throat out of that imbecile the fates thought was perfect for me."

"Had you killed a pregnant second luna we wouldn't have the support of our people right now. You know very well our power isn't autonomous. It exists as long as we have the trust of our people. Claire is only guilty of adhering to her Alpha's command. The fact that she might have wanted to be with Xander is besides the point. If you kill her for choosing another then you become a tyrant in the eyes of our people, of the other races."

"Power isn't everything." He countered.

"Would you have our world crumble?"

"To save my mate? Yes." He'd turned and stormed out of the suite.

"Andreas!" His grandmother called to him but he kept on going.

Why was the queen acting so out of character? Andre was sure there was something his grandmother wasn't telling him. She was beloved by their people. To the point where she could commit murder and they'd still love her. So why was she letting Claire have her way? Why was she holding him and Cari back?

Did she have something against his mate?

She wouldn't even tell him where she had Claire. Three hours after his mate was taken and his own grandmother wouldn't allow him to question the only obvious suspect. It didn't make sense. Lucky he had a sure proof way of finding out things. If his grandmother was going to keep him in the dark on this, then he was justified in spying on her.

With a low growl he turned back, drawing his power around him like a cloak. It was something he'd learned when he was a child and never talked about. Sometimes it was necessary to be invisible and this ability allowed him to be. It was as if his existence became null, as if what he did failed to register until he was gone.