Chapter 5

Anaya POV:

I had spent the whole night tossing and turning in bed replaying the events from yesterday in my head. Every time I closed my eyes, Caden's dark, almost black eyes appeared in my head. Giving up on trying to fall asleep around 3 in the morning, I had picked up my laptop and researched about panic attacks. I knew a great deal about them already but I wanted to know more.

Panic attacks were triggered by a number of things; words, events, memories and many more. During a panic attack people have hard time breathing, staying calm and being focused and in some cases people experience episodes of rage. Caden had similar symptoms yesterday making me wonder what had triggered his attack.

Was it something I had said or done?

The reason as to why I had taken up peer counseling was because my interest was in science and like my parents; I wanted to become a doctor. Sure this program would help me get into college premed but I also liked helping people.

After yesterday, one thing was certain... I want to help Caden King.

***************************************************************

Dressing quickly in the morning, I was yawning non-stop. Sure, I was used to staying awake late but I did need a few hours of sleep to function accordingly and I already knew, today was going to be a long day. I had gone with dark skinny jeans and light pink jumper. Putting on a pair of black ballet flats, I walked out of my room leaving my hair to fall down my back in light curls.

Both my parents were at work this morning so the house was silent. Brandon was still sleeping and I didn't want to wake him up. The guy had a talent of waking up as late as he wanted and still arriving to his classes on time. Pulling out my coffee mug from the kitchen drawer, I got busy making coffee to take to school. I needed it if I was going to pay attention in classes today. Deciding not to have breakfast, I quickly put the coffee in the mug and headed out the door.

As soon as I had parked the car in the school lot, I got out and headed towards my locker. I really hope I didn't run into Caden today. Surely I had decided to help him but I was in no state to help anyone right now. Students were standing around their lockers chattering and laughing. Exchanging a few greetings with students on the way, I shoved the books that I didn't need till after lunch inside my locker and slammed it shut. Bringing my mug up to my lip, I sipped lightly and leaned my head against my locker and closed my eyes.

"You look hung over." Groaning, I opened my eyes to see Stacey hovering over me with a cheeky smile on her face. Giving her the best glare I could muster, I leaned back, closing my eyes again.

"Don't even start, Stace. I didn't get any sleep last night." Sipping the coffee again I looked towards my best friend.

"Someone messing with your head, not letting you sleep?" Wiggling her eyebrows suggestively, she started pulling me along towards our first period. Scowling at who she had meant I frowned, because she was right. Caden King was messing with my head. Just then a hush fell across the hallway and everyone parted as to let someone pass through.

Looking towards the entrance, I saw Caden making his way through the hallway followed by his two friends; Alex and Jace. The three of them had been joined to the hip since middle school and their bond was ever so strong, even when Caden had been sent to Juvie. The three of them strode through the halls like they owned the place and students actually parted and made way for them. The scene in front of me made me scowl more. Why did everyone treat them like royalty?

Snapping Stacey out of her trance I pulled her along walking in the opposite direction, not wanting to run into Caden. I always had a plan and currently my plan was to stay awake long enough to make it through the classes today and make it through the day without running into Caden.