of hockey games and bathroom charades

Start from the beginning

the door cracks open slowly, revealing Johnny. he's changed out of the sweats and unbuttoned flannel that he wore when I saw him earlier. instead, he's wearing a pair of ripped, distressed blue jeans, a red, name-brand hoodie and sneakers that coordinate with the red of his sweatshirt. once the door is wide open enough, i'm able to see that he brought me his dolce & gabbana jacket. my cheeks heat up 'cause he knows it's my favorite one. he leans against the doorframe and swings his car keys around the pointer finger of his free hand.

"are you girls, and- um," Johnny coughs lightly with a sly smile, diverting his eyes to me. " . . . lady, ready to go? Noah and Tacoda are almost at the arena. and when they get there, they're going to have to wait for us because I have the tickets."

Lauren stands up from next to me on her bed, and Kenzie follows suit. "slow down, why are we-" his little sister gestures between herself and our friend. "girls, but y/n's a lady?" she asks, sounding more curious than upset. while Kenzie looks more amused than anything.

his eyes widen, like he wasn't expecting her to ask. though, I could've seen this coming. "oh, well on her eighteenth birthday she asked me to start referring to her as a lady. it makes her feel grown up, and elegant." I can tell he's trying to hold it back, but he ends up chuckling a little bit after his explanation.

the girls look at each other with furrowed eyebrows and perplexed smiles. they act like they wanna say something but ultimately end up shaking their heads and heading out of the door ahead of John and I.

when they're out of my sight I make my way towards him while he holds the jacket out for me. after making sure that their backs are still turned to us, I lean up, placing a quick kiss to his cheek, taking the jacket out of his hands, and winking at him before following the girls.

together, the four of us walk down the stairs and through the house, saying good-bye to Dale and Meredith on the way out. as Johnny shuts the front door behind him, Kenzie turns slightly to show me her smirk, glance at John and then faces forward again. I take her hint and don't even bother to look back at his face when I shout out. "shotgun!" but I can hear his low laugh when I practically skip to the passengers side of his car.

he unlocks the car with the push of a button, and as I sit in the all too familiar front seat I think back to Kenzie's words. confident and sexy. so I tilt my chin up, straighten my posture and buckle my seatbelt on. at this point he's opening the door to the drivers seat, sitting behind the wheel and starting the car--not without taking a glimpse or two at me first.

right as he's about to pull out of the driveway I feel his eyes on me again. I use the small window of opportunity to further the plan by crossing my left leg over my right. just a little more of the skin on my legs showing because of the rips in my jeans that stretch from my movement.

out of the corner of my eye I can see his own drifting from my face to my legs and then, just as quickly, he's facing front again and pulling out of their driveway.

the ride to the arena would take an estimated fifteen to twenty minutes. during this time, from the backseat, Lauren and Kenzie's giggles could be heard. I figured it was because of the snaps that Lauren was sending me every other minute. they were short, less then ten second videos of Johnny in the rear view mirror. during each and every video his eyes flickered to the right, or more specifically, to me.

as I watch one of the videos, probably the fourth or fifth one she's sent, I start to realize how weird it would be if me and John were really still broken up . . . luckily we aren't.

on the other hand, he seems to be completely oblivious to being caught in the act of 'sneaking' looks at me. he's too busy running his free hand through his hair excessively and bouncing his left leg when it wasn't pressing on the brakes. and i've known him long enough to know that these little things are really just him trying to distract himself. i'm not sure what he's distracting himself from 'till i'm watching yet another video Lauren sends of him. in this one he's not just looking over at my face, he's looking over at me, down at my legs, like he had before, and back to the road within a mere few seconds.