"I can't stay in Jos for more than a week!" She exclaimed.

"You aren't dying are you?"

"Ali..." She trailed off, not knowing how to possibly talk him out of it. He's headstrong and with that stoic face of his, he's braced his mind to not even waver at that point. But one thing she'd bet her last breath on was Ali was in for a big surprise - no, shock. "Let's go by car, I'll be needing to get away a lot."

Ali drew in a breath and relaxed on the headboard, his eyes not shifting from her face. "Alright then, we leave tomorrow."

She stared pointedly at him before looking away with a sigh. "You gotta prepare yourself for what's gonna hit you too Ali." She went to her bag and got a hijab, threw it over her head.

"What'd you like to eat?"

Ali climbed down from the bed. "Let's go downstairs."

"Why?"

"You're apologising to your mother."

"I'm not!" She stated resolutely and he frowned.

"Amira I'm not fucking asking, not to talk of begging."

"I'm not sorry so I'm not apologising and you can't force me to!"

"Amira what the hell has gotten into you?! She's your mother."

"It's not my fault." She stood her ground.

"So it's hers? Amira you have no right whatsoever to talk to your mother like that."

"And she didn't too! She has to learn to respect my feelings as well."

"Look Amira, I don't know what the issue is between you and your parents but whatever it is I just want you to know that yesterday will be the last time I watch you disrespect your own mother in my presence cos wallahi, the next time I witness or hear you do, you'll be dealt with."

Amira was speechless for a beat. "Ali did you just threaten me?"

"You know what I can do Amira so just learn to exercise patience with your mother, I know you wouldn't want your children to do the same to you."

Amira sneered and rolled her eyes but said nothing. Ali disregarded her reaction and got his phone and car keys.

He held the door for her and after reviewing him, she headed towards it.

He stepped a foot in front of her before she went out. "Loosen that frown and you better act like you mean the apology."

"Get lost Ali." She squeezed herself out of the door and he bit down his irritation, followed her downstairs.

Hajiya Salmah was in the kitchen making breakfast when they met her. Ali stepped in first before Amira and said his greetings to his mother-in-law.

"Good morning dear, hope that son didn't disturb your sleep."

"No, not at all."

"Good morning." Amira mumbled from behind Ali and her mother gave her a reviewing look.

"Morning, hope you slept well."

"Umm, yes I did." She glanced at Ali then sighed. "I uh _"

"Aunt I - I mean, we - wanted to apologise, sincerely, for what happened yesterday." Ali cut her off, gaining a cursory look from her. "We hadn't talked about the trip earlier which was the reason behind her reaction but nothing still justifies her disrespect to you and I sincerely apologise for that." He looked back at her with a do-I-have-to-spell-it-to-you look and she murmured a sorry.