CHAPTER 2

ADHWETA SINGH'S POV:

Mhmmmm...phmmm...

I tried to breathe in properly with my head bent and mouth full of safety pins as I tugged on the saree blindly with all my bangs getting in the way of my eyesight . I had been practicing to tie this long ‐ dreaded piece of cloth on my body since past one week .
I have been living and managing my life and business here in New York since past five years with no one but myself as my back up away from my family , away from those who could hurt me or those whom I can hurt with my stupidity. My life was sailing smoothly being either dressed in casuals or formals but now the situation demands me to wear this SAREEE! the occasion being that my childhood friend who is very pissed off at me is getting married. And my first step in cajoling her will be to look presentable otherwise if it were to be left upon me I would show up in one of my business suits .
The woes of wearing a saree is that if I tuck it a little high then my feet and ankles start showing which apparently should not...aghhh... and if I tuck it a little low then I start tripping on it and these god damned pleats how does even one makes it! As I start gathering the cloth to make the next pleat the last one slips through my fingers and I end up tucking a ball of cloth on my front side making me look like a pregnant woman.....and.... how do we determine the correct side for pinning the lose end of the saree? and lastly even if somehow I manage to tie it around myself then I either end up tripping on it or the entire saree drops down as soon as I take a few steps.
All these thoughts were fueling my frustration as I tried to pin the loose end of my saree on the back of my blouse with all my concentration when the sudden blaring of my cell phone startled me making me loose my balance in the god forsaken heels and I ended up falling on all my four on the floor with a loud tearing noise resounding in my ear as the blasted phone continued to ring in the background.

Gathering myself I somehow stood up after numerous tries and looked at my backside in the mirror which showed that my 'oh so sexy black blouse' had been reduced to tatters barely held together. R.I.P. my dear ripped blouse.

Hobbling over to my bed I picked up my phone and without checking the caller ID I barked out a "what?" ,but all my anger and frustration was thrown outside the window when I heard someone sniffling and calling out, "Adhu.." in a quivering voice.
Composing my thousand and one thoughts and pushing them in the 'to be dwelled upon later' drawer of my brain I tried to talk in my best comforting tone, " Shreyu, baby what happened why are you crying?" but my tone had the opposite effect and her sniffles turned into full blown sobs.
I gave her some time to let out all her pent up feelings , while applying permutations and combinations on the question ' what could have happened to her?' in my brain. After a few minutes she feebly said ," please come to the sunshine hospital, I..need you." and hung up , leaving me to deal with the pandemonium of emotions rising within me. Gathering about my wits I took everything that was needed and left my apartment while my brain was constantly reminding me that I was forgetting something important .
Driving my car like a bat out of hell I reached the hospital in record time gaining a few speeding tickets on the way

"Are you alright? What happened? Why did you ask me to come here ?...." I wheezed out as soon as I saw shreya.

Shreya is my brother 's best friend, Vikram's wife but more than that she is like a sister to me. I cupped her face in my hands when I saw a sheen of tears in her eyes , " Hey buttercup calmn down, deep breaths.....yes ...just like that. Hmm....now tell me what happened? Is Vikram alright? Are you okay?" She handed me a bunch of papers in reply and when I raised my brows in question she just huffed and took the papers from my hand .
After shuffling through the pages for a few minutes she pointed towards the line where the word 'pregnant' was written in bold . A big smile broke out on my face as I crushed Shreya in my arms.

"Congratulations! this is such a happy news why are you crying? Did you inform your families about this ? ....aaaaaa...did you record Vikram's reaction when you told him about this? Leave all this where is he?.." I questioned her while my eyes searched for the soon to be daddy.

And as if the word Vikram had caused a chain reaction she again started bawling her eyes out. I rubbed her back as I spoke in a soft yet steady voice , " Shreya did that duffer do something which he should not have even thought about? Tell me ? I swear I will break his legs and hands send it for medical research purposes ."

Drying her tears with the back of her hand and wiping the snot on her sweater sleeves Shreya looked up at me with her red eyes and said, " A few months ago......

To be continued...

HEY MY LOVELY READERS, I hope you all are keeping well....I am really very sorry for going M.I.A but due to covid the exam dates kept on changing and it was causing a lot of stress for me that is why I was not able to update. All those who voted or commented on my previous chapter thank you so much it means a lot .I will try my best to give you guys as many updates as possible since my exams are over and to the silent readers ...guys can you please ....pretty please.... just leave a comment for me as to whether you are liking what I am writing or any improvements which you think I can make ....it would be highly motivating for me.
THANK YOU. Stay safe and healthy.