Go to hell for heaven's sake

Katniss' POV

Right now I'm walking to the bakery.

It's around a fifteen minute walk from my house but we were out of bread and plus I wanted to see how my baker boy was doing.

Mr Mellark stands behind the counter when I enter.

"Hello Katniss!" He greets with a wide smile on his face.

"Hello Mr Mellark!" I reply.

"Please, call me Adam." He says.

"Hah okay." I say. "Where's Peeta?"

"Oh he's back there with Narcissa." He says.

"Oh." Is all I can say.

"But can I help you?" He asks.

"Oh, right, yeah, sure. I want a loaf of bread and some cheese buns-" I say before being cut off by a load thump followed by a whimper.

A whimper from Peeta.

"Please no..." I whisper.

I've only witnessed this once.

It was the first time I'd ever been to Peeta's, we were 9 years old and his mom took one look at me and raised a frying pan to hit me with but Peeta took the beating. She was hitting him so many times, it hurt me so much to have to watch the boy I like and best friend getting hurt.

I jump over the bakery counter and run out to the back room.

Peeta's mom is hitting him repeatedly with a rolling pin that is now stained with Peeta's blood.

I'm so angry. How can she hurt Peeta like this?

I run at her and throw her onto the ground and kneel beside Peeta.

"Please don't go Peeta." I whisper. "Please."

He looks so badly hurt.

There's a massive purple bruise beginning to form on his jaw and there's blood everywhere.

"What did you do?" I roar at his mother.

"I gave him a beating he deserved for loving you." She replies with a smirk on her face.

"That's pathetic. You know why? Because that's just spoilt. So what? Me and Peeta are dating! We love each other! Get a grip, because life is hard. Karma will come back around and bite you on the ass! Mark my words!" I shout.

"Hah, please. Peeta's worthless. All he's good at is baking and messing things up." Mrs Mellark says.

I turn around to see if Mr Mellark, Adam, is doing anything.

I notice him on the phone in the other room. He nods towards Mrs Mellark and I know what he wants.

"Don't you dare say that!" I scream. "Peeta's an amazing person! And all he ever gets is shit from you! And that's gotta stop. You're holding him back! His life has so many possibilities. Why do you hate him so much? Huh?"

She looks stumped for a minute, as if she can't answer the question.

"That's none of you goddamned business you slut!" She yells.

That's it.

I can't hit her though, even though I want to. I won't give her that satisfaction.

"Oh piss off." Is all I say.

Then the cops burst in with a team of paramedics.

"Narcissa Mellark, you're under the arrest for abuse. Whatever you say will be taken into consideration and may be used against you in the court." A police man with a ginger beard says.

But I'm more focused on Peeta right now.

Paramedics have given him a gas mask and are carrying him up on a stretcher.

"Is he gonna be okay?" I keep asking the paramedics.

"Look," one of them finally turns around. "We don't know. He's unconscious and appears to have broken many bones."

Peeta...

"Katniss do you mind if I go in the ambulance with them?" Mr Mellark asks.

"No it's fine, I'm sure Haymitch will drive me." I reply.

My whole body is numb.

"Thank you." He replies and gives a reassuring smile before jumping in the ambulance and drives away.

I stand there for a few moments.

What if he doesn't make it?

And then I start running.

I don't stop sprinting until I reach home, and even then I'm not tired.

"Katniss!" Prim shouts when she sees me. "What's wrong?"

"I need to get to the hospital. Now."

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
Hey guys!

Sorry if this was a short chapter.

Oh my I just got a filling before I go to get braces and my face is so numb, it feels like I've had a stroke or something.

Anyway... MRS MELLARK HAS BEEN ARRESTED! WHOOP WHOOP!

What did you think of this chapter though...?

More up soon!