Chapter 9

The two spent the rest of the day at Anneliese's home. Slowly packing up her father's belongings. With Anneliese instructing Howard to fold up Josef's clothing and to put them into the trunk she found in her father's office, whilst she packed up the small table dedicated to her mother and all his research papers. Everything that her father would need.

She didn't really want her father moving in with Abraham, nor anywhere near Stark Industrials. But it was a fight she could never win, and they both knew it. So, she agreed to spend her time packing away his stuff knowing she would be more alone, lonelier than ever before.

A task that should have only taken an hour, turned into a numerous hours. Anneliese slowly eased into the company of Howard, as he told her stories of how he tricked Alexander's father into thinking he was some big deal lawyer's son and therefore, the perfect friend for Alexander. She found the entire scenario hilarious and seemingly the perfect metaphor for their entire friendship. Anneliese was certain that over the years, the two had tricked far too many business men into bad deals and women into bed, and she was certain they would both continue in the future. 

Yet, the creation of Stark Industrials all begun by a friendship built on theft; Howard stole a watch off of Alexander, and he went after Howard... offering him the opportunity to steal from his father's collection.

"And Alexander says he isn't the one starting the family drama", Anneliese laughed. As Howard informed her that Alexander even went as far to trick his family into thinking he was in a three-way relationship with Howard and some random girl he picked up in Los Angeles.

Howard was sitting on the stool in the kitchen, as Anneliese begun cooking him dinner. Usually her father cooked these days, but Anneliese still knew how to make a pretty standard meal. Pasta was her go too, easy, and somehow, not completely stigmatised.

Boiling the water, she leaned against the tall cupboards. Her mind beyond curious, so she asked. "Why did you even hire him?"

A small smirk appeared on Howard's face. "He hired me-"

Anneliese mouth dropped. "No way!", she exclaimed. "It's called Stark Industrials-"

Howard had his elbows propped onto his knees as he spoke, his boyish grin keen across his lips. "The original loan was in his name, knowing his father would be outraged by the thought of his family name being associated to a loan. So, his father paid it off, thus the company was originally Grey's. He said it killed two stones at once, nearly gave his father a heart attack and got him a respectful job as the president of a business."

Still surprised, she did not attempt to hide it.

"Alexander sounds like a very good friend to you-"

"But he likes you more-"

Anneliese laughed, "He prefers my Papa over me."

Howard picked up the wine glass behind him that Anneliese had found for the wine she was given for her birthday last year, and decided it was time to drink it. 

"True to that, here's to a new Lorenz member... Alexander Lorenz," He raised his wine glass as he winked at her, and Anneliese nearly spilt her wine as she fumbled with the glass. His damn golden eyes. 

"Cheers to that," Anneliese laughed nervously as she took a sip from her glass. "Might want to make a wish for yourself before you drink. Alexander is going to have your head for being out of office for this long."

Turning her back to Howard, she poured the pasta into the boiling pot of water, slowly stirring it every few moments. His eyes were trained on her every move, curiously watching her as she slowly chopped up a sausage and some smaller green vegetables.