Six

I sat on the wooden bench in the park letting the sun's rays blanket me in their warmness. The wood beneath my thighs was rough but warm. I gripped the edge and dangled my feet smiling like a fool.

Eli brought over a plate for me filled with potato salad, chips, and a hamburger with grilled onions, pickles, mustard, and ketchup. He handed me a fork smiling at me.

"Sorry, you just were so insistent on hanging out that I couldn't afford to pass up the chance. Hope you don't mind the barbecue."

I laughed, "Actually I'm excited for it."

After the grocery store I drove home to put away my purchases as Eli waited for me outside. He drove me to his home where he and some of his friends were gathered to toss a football around and drink beer.

"Well good." He sat down next to me on the bench his own plate in front of him. He sat so close to me our legs were touching and the hairs on my arm raised. I smiled feeling good about myself.

"Did you ever read the book I told you about?" He asked taking a bite from his burger.

I could lie and say I did but he'd probably ask me a follow up question. I squinted my eyes in thought, "Sorry."

He laughed and said, "I figured you wouldn't have had the chance yet."

I turned and watched as some of his friends were throwing a football to each other running up and down the back yard.

"Your house is huge. And your yard is... Well it's like a park" I noted.

"Yeah I actually bought the land and built the house with my grandfather."

I stared at him blinking several times to register what he just said.

"I'm good with my hands." He smiled.

"Eli stop flirting and come play! We have an uneven game!" Yelled a very large muscular man on the grass.

Eli smirked, "Will you be mad if I join them?"

I gave my best smile, "You are the host."

He rubbed my arm up and down and kissed my cheek standing up and brushing his khaki shorts off. I watched him pull his hair back into a bun and tug his light green t shirt down as he jogged to his friends.

I watched him play football with his friends tackling them down and rolling over to jump up and run from one end to the other. They would scream at each other as motivation to hustle and intercept the ball from one another. I began to feel the adrenaline pumping through me and joined cheering Eli on and clapping my hands as he made a touch down slamming the ball into the ground and doing a little dance. I laughed hysterically when he tried to tackle one guy with the ball and ended up jumping on his back being carried to the other end of the field.

I felt good about where I was at. Typically I'd be at home reading or walking Kuma. I'd be curled up on the couch or snuggled in my bed waiting for the weekend to end so I could go back to work. I felt giddy. Not like myself. I wasn't shy or fearful, I felt confident and exhilarated.

The game ended and Eli ran back to me sweat trickling down his face and arms. Breathing heavily he smiled. "You're like my own personal cheerleader." I laughed, "no seriously, I have to keep you around 'cause I sucked and you just kept on cheering"

"Didn't you win?" I asked tilting my head and smirking at him.

"Not because of anything I did. We have Brett on our team. He's built like a cement wall." That was true. I saw the comparison.

"Well you still amazed me." I leaned in and kissed him briefly.

He looked at me in wonder and lifted my chin up, "I think you're pretty amazing as well." He kissed me again and I could feel my insides melting.

Eli's friends packed it up and went home an hour later. I stayed behind putting empty beer cans in a trash bag and wrapping up leftovers to put in his fridge. I had only seen the kitchen but that alone was bigger than my entire house plus the little yard I did have. It had a huge fridge and freezer plus two ovens on top of each other. There was an island in the middle with the stove and pans hanging over it.

I walked over to the double sink and washed ketchup off my hands. I felt Eli walk up behind me putting his arms around my waist kissing my cheek. He smelled so delicious it was a struggle not to turn around.

"I have something I want to show you." He whispered in my ear.

He held my hand and led me to another room down the hall. It was closed by two wooden doors. He opened them dramatically as I begged him to let me see what was inside.

It was a library. The walls were bookshelves covered from top to bottom in books. There was a fireplace with a giant rug and a huge sofa with a chair on either side turned to form a semi circle. I sucked in my breath taking it all in as I looked at my dream room.

"Whadaya think?" He asked smiling.

"It's perfect." I said.

We curled up on the sofa together, Eli had a copy of the book he had checked out in the library in his own library.

"Why did you check this out if you already owned a copy yourself?" I asked.

"It's different having a library book than owning the book." He stated with conviction.

I turned his answer over in my mind trying to see his point of view. I guess I could understand that.

"This is the story about a wise man and a fool. It begins in his classroom..." I listened as Eli read me the play stroking my hair from my face as my head lay on his chest. I felt the beat of his heart steady and peaceful. I let my imagination wander placing people I knew as characters in the story.

"... She will open her hands in the Garden of Paradise." Eli closed the book and looked down at me. I smiled up at him squirming to lift my head closer to his.

"That was beautiful." I said giving him a small peck.

"It's one of my favorites" he brushed a loose curl from my eyes.

"Why?" I asked.

He shrugged, "My grandfather use o read it to me when I was a kid."

The corner of my mouth tugged slightly and I kissed him again resting my head back on his chest.

"I should probably get going. Kuma will need to be walked." I mumbled.

"I'll drive you home."

I stood up stumbling trying to regain my balance. I laughed, "I must have forgotten how to walk." I said holding onto Eli's arm for support. "My leg went to sleep." I started to shake it viciously until I felt the familiar pin pricks.

"Ready?" Eli asked.

"For what?"

"To go home and walk Kuma" he chuckled.

"Oh right! Sorry, I'm more tired than I thought."

Eli drove me home and I walked inside setting my keys down on the counter in my kitchen. Eli had kissed me goodnight at the door and left after we made plans to hang out again tomorrow.

Kuma rubbed up against my legs and I scratched her head getting her leash ready. My headache from this morning was starting to come back probably from the lack of sleep I had. I yawned raising my arms above my head stretching. I unclenched my teeth when I realized I had them clamped tight. Clasping the leash on her collar I opened the door.

"Hey Ace."

Authors note:
Hey readers! Tell me what you think! What do you like and not like? And please vote so I know I should continue!! Thank you all so much!