Chapter Four: The Wooden Sword

Start from the beginning

"You could say that; yes," I replied and started to pack my things. Rhett clumsily got closer to the stall to open it up for me to come out and I smiled at him kindly.

"If there's..." Rhett paused for a moment as I turned my full attention to him and I saw him swallow. "If there's anything I can do for you... to help, I mean. I- I'm here if you need help with anything".

I stared at him for a moment, about to dismiss his worries but then I bit my tongue and took one step closer to him. I saw him squirm a little at that, but he held his ground. I stood close enough to him to smell his sweat and the distinct smell of horse that was part of him now.

"Actually... there is something," I told him. "I have an early shift at The Wooden Sword, but I don't want to stay at home tonight. How about we go for a drink?"

He seemed surprised, his green-brown eyes going wide, and his body tensing up. He mulled over my words for a moment but then cracked a sideways grin at me.

"I meant more like if there's someone bothering you that I could teach a lesson to, but I'm in for a drink or two. Should I pick you up from The Wooden Sword or from your apartment?" he said with a hint of a joke in his tone. Something inside of me fought against my next action, but I did it anyway.

I reached up and pushed a loose strand from my braid behind my ear, then looked at Rhett through half-lidded eyes. He let out a shallow breath, his eyes not leaving me for a moment, and I made an effort to blink more times than needed.

"I'd like to change clothes as well as leave my violin before going out, so do you mind coming by my apartment?" I asked, knowing that his place was closer to The Wooden Sword than to my apartment. He immediately shook his head and then licked his lips.

"I'll be there... let's say an hour before midnight?"

I agreed to it and then I was on my way back to my apartment. I almost didn't have enough time to shower, change clothes and eat before my shift and the snow made the walk back home from the stable even longer.

***

About two hours later, I entered The Wooden Sword, holding onto my violin case. I shrugged off my cloak, handing it over to one of the bartenders, and looked around the bar. Kieran, the owner, as well as Brandyn, the other bartender, gave me a questioning look when I neared them instead of going to get ready for my set.

"D'ya want a drink before getting on the stage?" Brandyn asked while scratching his beardless chin. Brandyn's eyes were a little similar to mine but not exactly the same. His were deeper and if someone were to compare us, they could see that Brandyn had higher cheekbones and a quite darker skin tone.

"No, I was only wondering about something," I started and stepped even closer. Kieran, a man in his late thirties with reddish long hair and a thick beard, nodded for me to go on and finished up his ale. "Do you know where this bar is?" I inquired and showed them the address I had acquired yesterday.

They both looked at the piece of paper I held out for a moment and then shared a look of unease. Brandyn remained silent, starting to fix his long brown hair into a high bun, while Kieran reached up to fiddle with one of the tiny braids of his beard.

"Love, I wouldn't recommend going there..." Kieran answered, though his tone made it sound more like a command than a recommendation. I frowned. "Who gave you that?" Kieran pressed with worry in his tone and whatever emotion I had felt over his recommendation dispensed. I raised an eyebrow at his question, not answering him. "A sweet girl like you doesn't find out about a wretched place like that by accident," he replied and scratched his ale-induced belly over his shirt. "Who gave you that?"

icon lock

Show your support for Valentina V., and continue reading this story

by Valentina V.
@valentina7writer
Iseul had her whole life figured out, from her profession to her marr...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 26 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @valentina7writer.