Chapter 20: Twizzlers

Start from the beginning

"Why do you always have to ruin everything for me?" she said halfheartedly.

I sigh in relief that she isn't really mad.

"I'm your best friend, it's my job to look out for you," I say.

"Well stop," she frowns.

The doorbell rings letting me know Hilary is here. I hear mom let her in and give myself a once over before putting on a smile and going to meet her. She runs into my arms and hugs me with a squeal.

"Ugh, will this ever not be painful?" I ask.

"Nope." She giggles.

"Hi, Hilary!" Georgia walked up to her.

"Hi Georgia, hmm, looks like you got something there." She reaches behind my sister's ear and pulls out a gumball. "How did this get there!?" Hilary says.

"Wow!" Georgia snatches it from her and instantly shoves it in her mouth.

"You have no idea what you've done." I shake my head.

"It will be our secret, high five," Hilary says to Georgia.

They high five before Georgia runs back upstairs to her room.

"Stop giving my sister sugar before bed please," I peck Hilary on the lips.

"Never," she gives me another kiss.

I giggle.

Zoey clears her throat above us, we quickly break apart.

"Ready to go?" Hilary asks her.

"Yes, come on or we'll be late." Zoey walks downstairs and past us.

We pile into Hilary's car and sit in awkward silence as Hilary turns the radio on.

"Butterscotch?" Hilary offers.

"Sure, Zoey?" I take one.

"Ew no."

"Um, gumball?" I ask looking into Hilary's purse.

"What else you got?"

"Jolly ranchers, Hubba bubba bubble gum, mints, and a Twizzler. Babe, you have a problem." I look up at Hilary.

"Leave me alone," she stuck her tongue out.

"I'll take the Twizzler."

I hand it to her.

She unwraps it and takes an aggressive bite out of it.

The rest of the car ride is silent as we drive to the restaurant. We decide on this Korean BBQ restaurant. Hailey is already waiting for us, she's really overly nice and hugs all of us before we go and sit down.

I sit next to Hilary and Zoey sits next to Hailey. Hailey and I are across from each other.

"So, this is nice." I break the ice.

"I know right, so cute, all of us together," Hailey says.

"Yeah." Hilary smiles.

"Yep," Zoey adds.

I cringe.

The waiter comes and hands us the menu and takes our drink order.

"Selfie time!" Hailey announces as soon as the waiter leaves.

We all huddle together and I do my best not to give my I've just been kidnapped face. I swear I see Hilary's eye twitch.

"Where do you get your hair done; it's so cute." Hailey touches Zoey's hair.