Danielle's POV:

MY body being shook quickly awoke my senses, my eyelids fluttered, and fingers twitched slightly. A voice talking directly to my left spoke in a low, harsh voice. The words all merged into one however, when I began to drift off to sleep again. Only to be awoken by another firm shake.

"Danielle. Get up," the voice hissed in my ear, "Danielle, get your ass up. I swear I will drag you off this plane by your hair if you don't."

My eyes immediately snap open at the threat, my hands subconsciously going up to my hair. I didn't need to lose any more of it, the number of times they dragged me around, just holding it and nothing else. I seriously wonder how most of it still manages to stay intact.

Nodding hurriedly, I realised we had landed, meaning I had slept for seven hours straight. My eyes widen and my jaw drops open slightly. The longest I've been able to sleep recently is two hours, three on a good day. My gaze focused on my mother, who is already glaring at me.

"Yes, you slept the whole time. Yes, you missed lunch. And yes, you're not getting anything else to eat." She says, "Now get your ass out of the chair and get the hell out, we're the last ones."

I glance around the plane, finding that we indeed are the last ones here except a couple of flight attendants who were chatting and laughing with each other in the corner.

I reach down and grab my belongings, pulling a backpack onto each shoulder and carrying the plastic bag on my arm. I followed my mum down the alley between the seats, smiling slightly at one of the flight attendants when she looked up and made eye contact with me. She flashed me one back and asked how our flight was.

"Fine." My mum answered, putting her hand on the small of my back, practically pushing me out of the door.

Stumbling a bit on the steps, I lift one of my hands to block the sunlight out of my eyes. I forgot that we were going to America where it was constantly warm and sunny. AKA hell on earth.

A small frown tugged at my lips at the thought of not being able to wear hoodies and leggings, not only needing them to hide my bruises and scars but to cover my insecurities as well, the things tearing me apart from the inside out.

I would wear them despite the heat anyways, I don't usually mind it. What I wouldn't want, however, is the fear of being judged for wearing baggy and warm clothes when it's boiling. I wouldn't want other people to think something is wrong and bring more attention to myself. I wouldn't want more people to view me the same as I do. I wouldn't want a profile to be made for myself from people just looking at me and the clothes I'm wearing.

Nearing the baggage carousel, my father came into view, scowling at the floor while talking heatedly into the phone. When we were closer, he looked up and noticed us, he held up a finger, signalling for us to wait and walked to the side of the room.

While my mum stared after him, trying to read his lips when he was talking, I tried to find our luggage. This turned out to be a difficult task since multiple times I found suitcases that resembled our own, but they were always pulled off of the conveyer before I could get a closer look.

I sighed and stood back, waiting for everyone else to get theirs before I got ours out of the ones left. While I waited, I observed the way families, friends, relationships, and businesspeople all behaved, so different yet so similar. They all involved love, love for the family members, love for the friendship, love for their partners, and love for the job.

There were a couple of side-line ones though, the different ones. The families with no joy or affection, the ones where there were too many disappointments and let downs in sight, much like my own. The friendships that were broken and toxic, all just fake smiles and false words. The relationships that were controlling and manipulative, each half using the other to receive what they want. The businesspeople so dissatisfied with their job and fed up with how their life is turning out, the passion and vision no longer there.