“Send for Samantha.” Tony ordered in a quiet tone. He was never quick to anger. It took a lot for him to lose his temper. That may have been one of the reasons he was feared so.

“Did you not see the need to verify any of what she or he said?”

“When I told her I would need to verify her allegations she said that you were held up in a business matter and didn’t want to be disturbed. Because it was so late and the bet was to be placed within the hour, I let it slide. It was a careless error and I take full responsibility for my part Don.”

“Please don’t take my kindness for weakness. Just because I am letting you go doesn’t mean that there won’t be consequences for not doing your job thoroughly. However if this job is too stressful for you or you feel you are having a hard time with business versus pleasure, maybe you should take some time off. Turn your duties over to someone else.”

“No Don… I apologize for my error. My word, this will never happen again no matter who vouches.”

“Good see to it that your word is your bond.”

“Yes Don.” Paolo quickly left the office like a fire was lit in his ass.

Antonio didn’t have the patience for liars because if they will lie, they will definitely steal. Someone stealing from him would be automatic death but he always allowed room for the proof to be in the putting. Never did he like going off the deep end before getting all of the facts. That was how his grandfather once ran the business. With an iron fist and no tolerance for disrespect. His father somehow changed the rules just a bit for he felt that the business was almost too cut throat. Mean, deceitful, manipulative, and downright destructive in their business dealings. Never gathering facts just piling on the dead bodies and pushing others into the roles. Not knowing fully if the new people would work out either. Antonio was big on giving a person enough rope to hang themselves. Once the rope had run out then he would step up to the plate to handle things once and for all. Always with a warning nonetheless. Whether they heeded to the warning, well that was up to the individual.

The family business consisted of a legit security firm housed in a large high rise built by their construction company. Where Antonio spent most of his time at though was in the construction area. They did major buildings and structures. The security firm was the largest in the Midwest with ties all over the world. Although it also dealt with small security systems and such, it mainly dealt with larger projects. Large companies that required heavy safekeeping for their databases and also their buildings within itself. They created as well as sold the hardware and software to keep so many safe. On the strong hand side they distributed men for the jobs that required a more personal touch.  On the illegal side of the business is where the more dangerous individuals were sent out to rectify matters.

In the business that they worked in there were times when it called for a more skilled hand to handle matters. People and situations needed to be extinguished like pest control. A gun for hire in so many words. In the crime world business was business and not all business was upholding the law. Antonio prided himself for having some of the best trackers that would be so slick with their skills that the intended had no clue they were around until it was too late. They moved like ‘Ghosts’ or a mist, in and out before anyone had a chance to blink. Hidden in the shadows as if they really didn’t exist. That’s the way he liked it so there was no coming back. No room for remorse. No room for excuses. Desperate people made desperate promises. Instead submitting to the inevitable they tend to want to make pointless promises of fixing whatever gone astray.

“You called for me Mr. Mucciono?”

“Samantha.” He acknowledged her presence. “Please have a seat. There seems to be some things we must go over.”