Chapter 2

Colton's POV

I rolled my neck to alleviate the strain settling between my shoulders.

Coach was going to kill us well before the season even started. And my tombstone would show, Here lies Colton. Death by burpees.

What kind of soulless human being created those? I rested on my knee as I tried to catch my breath. My hand squeezed into a fist as I tried to breathe more air in. I couldn't get enough. Sweat dripped down my brows, threatening to get into my eyes.

Doing burpees after weights to increase stamina was not my best idea. Neither was going this hard my first day back in training.

I was already in good shape. I kept up with my workouts over the summer. I didn't have to push it like this.

But I was reckless and I craved the distraction, and the bitter bites of pain. They made it impossible to think about anything else.

"What's up, grandpa?" Levi taunted. "You need me to go fetch your walker for you?"

My eyes narrowed. I jumped to my feet as if it was nothing but I felt the rattling in my legs all the way to my toes.

"Age isn't anything but a number. I'll prove that to you tomorrow on the field." You little, punk ass, bitch.

Levi's lips thinned as I straightened out to my full height. He flipped me off while walking backwards before turning around and exiting the weight room.

Talking smack was a large part of the sport world. We were always hassling each other whether we were teammates or opponents.

Taunting was just as much a part of the game to the athletes as the competitiveness of the sport, but some of the insults hit too close to home.

I looked around the room at my teammates working out beside me. This was my senior year at college. 

It was my last season to play soccer with my team, making me one of the oldest ones here, especially compared to the rookies who just got drafted.

But I wasn't a slacker. I worked hard and worked out even harder. Levi had nothing on me so I didn't appreciate the jab or snide remark when he couldn't back it up.

I would annihilate him on the field just to prove how capable this grandpa was.

I cracked my knuckles in my hand. Pride was the heart of any sport and its downfall.

After a quick shower I headed to my only class of the day. I had all my credits. I was just finishing out my last courses which would give me more time to focus and train for soccer.

The weight of trying to balance a medical degree and a sport where I longed to go pro was weighing heavily on me. I was spent and frankly, I didn't have much more to give.

But my parents forced it. They wanted me to be set when I graduate with a good career and they didn't think playing a sport or doing what I was generally passionate about was the way to go.

I gritted my teeth in frustration. I had talked to them until I was blue in the face to get them to understand and it had never made a damn bit of difference.

I was so tired of this shit.

Ryan was bouncing on the balls of his feet as we walked. He was a morning person, that fucker.

His ball cap was pulled low over his eyes but that did nothing to hide the smirk residing on his lips.

My eyes narrowed. "You look way too proud of yourself. What did you do this morning? Or should I say who."