nineteen - a double-edged sword

Start from the beginning

“Selena, if Alpha Highcliff decided to fight with everyone in here including me, he would most likely become the victor.”

She draws herself back, arching her brows. “Nonsense.”

He snorted.

“Don’t mistake his aloof nature towards fighting as a sign of weakness. He’s an Alpha and he wouldn’t have accepted his position if he knew he couldn’t fight.”

Selena pondered for a moment. Talon would choose his actions carefully and he wasn’t one to accept tasks that were out of his capability. Still, thinking that he was somehow a fighting expert made her want to scratch her head in confusion.

But everything that Joseph had said made complete sense.

She grimaced. She had already made the mistake of undermining Talon and it would be an utter mistake if she was doing to do the same thing again.

She looked at Joseph and silently nodded.

Joseph’s phone rang. He pulls it out from his pocket and reads the text displayed on its screen. Immediately after, he jumped excitedly.

“Oh, crap. It’s happening.” He nervously combed his hair with his hand. “My mate is in labor. I’ll cut my own sacks if I miss their birth.”

Selena laughed at his panicked state. Admittedly, there was something admirable about a man falling into a spiral of worrying hues when it came to their loved ones. Because in those moments, where their heart poured through their eyes, their love escaped from every seam in their bodies. It mirrored Nathaniel’s sorrowful look when she left him.

Agony and hopelessness compiled into one picturesque scene of despair.

She gulped, blinking away his name in her mind. She couldn’t afford to think about him. Not when every night, he still hawked over her in her dreams. All she needed to remember was he loved Katie and that was a fact.

Her heart prickled momentarily out of jealousy.

“Congratulations. You’re going to be a good father.” Selena tried to smile, burying her previous thoughts.

He breathed in deeply. “I don’t think so. I mean, technically I’m still a child in my mind that’s about to have children, triplets. And I will not consider myself a father if I won’t see them personally pop out of their mother.”

“So, are you going home?” She asked.

“Of course, I’m sure Alpha Highcliff will understand if I take my leave now.” He sighed and turn to his side. He gestures for a man to come to them.

This man was big. Almost as big as Nathaniel but a lot hairier. He was naked from the waist up, displaying his muscled chest full of silky dark strands of curly hair. His captivating blue eyes made Selena nervous as he walked up to them. His physique stood over her. Like a tall wall of muscle and flesh, the wolf looked foreign but very pleasing to the eyes.

His nearness was choking Selena with fright. Even Nathaniel wasn’t this intimidating,  but she couldn’t point that as to why. Maybe because the man didn’t have a welcoming pair of eyes, instead, he looked at her and it made her freeze on the spot.

But the most curious thing about him was his scent. She couldn’t smell it. Though that was probably because of the necklace he wore, which was the same thing that Luna Eliza gave her.

“Dorran,” Joseph spoke to the man.

“Yes, sir.” He answered.

“I need you to fill in for me. Just follow the routine as Alpha Talon requested and make sure the Luna doesn’t exert too much force in training today. Bench her until tomorrow and use force if necessary. I just need you to babysit her. Got that, big guy?” The Alpha arched a brow.