Fear and Injury

Warnings: Injury, attack, fear, blood, hurt.

A\N: I'm so sorry that this is so late, but I hope you like it. This was requested by an Anon.

The Request: Mermay request : 501 and your oc Stutter as mermaids going on a swim, but on their way back thay are ambushed by whale hunters (y'know, they use harpoons to hunt and kill bigger sea creatures, the harpoon's blade are attached with ropes). They started to swim away, trying to escape, when the hunters started shooting at them, trying to catch them. Now imagine : Stutter is paralyzed by fear, he never encountered humans before and he's just terrified, so when the hunters turn their weapons at him he doesn't do anything. How would he react, when one of his brothers swam to him and shielded him with his own body? (he survived ofc and had a scar after that)

Stutter follows along behind his brothers, Rex, Fives and Echo. They had all decided to go for a swim, while their other brothers stayed at the castle. Stutter is especially excited, he has plans to find something new to paint in his room, he's hoping to find a pretty plant to paint

Stutter's never seen a human before, but he's heard from all his brothers how dangerous they are, how they will kill you if given the chance. Rex and Cody know that best, having watched their parents die shortly after Stutter had been born, killed by humans.

Human inventions also hurt Mer, Echo having his tail crippled by a human's net, also losing his left arm. That had happened when Stutter was three, and it left Echo unable to swim, so Fives has to help him. Stutter hardly remembers a time before his brother's tail was crippled.

"Hey Stutter, you having fun!" Echo calls over, making Stutter smile and swim over to him and Fives. "Y-Yep! I'm hav-having a lot of f-fun!" Stutter tells them excitedly, making Fives and Echo both smile. Rex swims back a bit with them, smiling.

"We should head back now, dinner's going to be soon." They all nod, and start swimming back, following behind Rex. they swim for a bit, since they are a good ways from the castle, when a shadow covers them. Rex looks up and gasps. "Shit!! Humans!" He yells, seeing the ship. His eyes widen as he swims out of the way when a pointy stick attached to a rope almost impales him.

"Swim away!!" He yells as they all start swimming, all except for one. They are bombarded with the sticks, when-- "Stutter! Come one!!" The yell from Fives makes Rex turn, seeing Stutter frozen and shaking with fear. That's when Rex looks up, seeing one of the humans moving a weapon so that it's pointed at Stutter. "Stutter, no!!" Rex screams, swimming as fast as he can towards Stutter. He won't lose him, he can't, not after they lost their parents to humans. He won't fail to save another one of his family, not this time.

He grabs onto Stutter, moving him and shielding him with his own body just as the Hunter shoots the stick at them. He misses, but the sharp part of the stick cuts a long, jagged cut into Rex's chest. Making him scream. Stutter snaps out of his fear then, grabbing Rex and swimming as fast as he can.

Fives and Echo look on in horror, unable to help. But they follow Stutter as he swims past, a trail of blood from Rex is in the water. They all swim as fast as they can, needing to get to the safety of the palace before the sharks get to them. They will be able to smell the blood from a mile away.

Stutters arms grow tired, carrying his brother who is so much bigger than him, but he persists. He knows that Fives can't help him, he's already carrying Echo. Stutter bursts into the palace along with Fives and Echo, screaming for help. "H-HELP!! CO-CODY!!!" He screams for his oldest brother, the king. "KIX, JES-JESSE!!!! SOM-SOMEONE HELP!!!" He begs as the guards and other Mer who work in the castle swim over to try to help, someone finds some seaweed and wraps Rex's wound, as Stutter sees Kix swim up.

"Stutter!! You need to let go of Rex!! Now!" He yells, but Stutter can't, his hands won't work. Then he sees hands gently take his, as a warm voice whispers in his ear. "Shh, it's okay. It's going to be okay, Stut'ika." He looks up to see Cody, as he's pulled away from Rex. Stutter lets out a whimper, latching onto Cody and hiding his face in Cody's chest, as Cody runs a hand through his hair.

"Shh, Rex will be okay." Cody tells him, trying to convince himself as well, as Stutter just sobs into his chest, the sounds breaking Cody's heart. He brings Stutter into his own room, sitting with him for as long as his baby brother needs.

xxx

Stutter looks up as Kix walks into the room, both him and Cody jumping up and swimming over to him. "Kix, how is he?" Cody asks, and Kix smiles. "He was pretty wounded, but will make a full recovery. He's sleeping now, but he asked for Stutter." Stutter frowns as both Cody and Kix smile at him. "Go on, me and Kix need to talk still, then he needs to go tell the rest of our brothers." Cody nudges Stutter, who nods and swims out into the hall. He swims to Rex's room, gently opening the door.

He swims into the room, immediately seeing his Ori'Vod laying in bed, chest wrapped with bandages as he breathes softly, eyes closed. Stutter whimpers, knowing that he did this, that this is all his fault. He goes to swim away, but-- "Stutter?" Stutter freezes, turning to see that Rex's eyes are now opened, worry filling them. Stutter lets out a sob, making Rex's eyes widen. "Hey, it's alright. Come here, Vod'ika." Stutter does as asked, swimming to the edge of Rex's bed.

Rex gently grabs his arm, pulling Stutter into a hug, it hurts Rex's wounded chest, but he doesn't care. "I-I'm so s-sorry." Stutter whimpers out, but Rex just shushes him, running a hand through his fluffy hair.

"Shh, no, don't be sorry. You were scared, we all were. I'm alright, we are all alright." Rex whispers soothingly, trying to be as comforting as he can for his baby brother. Stutter curls into Rex. accepting the comfort his older brother is bringing.

"I'm sorry." He whispers again, but Rex just shushes him. "Shh, you have nothing to apologize for. If anyone is to blame, it's the kriffing humans." Rex reassures him, gently petting Stutters hair. Stutter doesn't quite believe it, but he knows that Rex will keep reassuring him. They lay like that for a while, Stutter falling asleep after a while.

Rex smiles as he looks down at his little brother, allowing his own eyes to drift close so that he can rest, not opening again until morning. Stutter does end up going Non-Verbal the next day, something that happens sometimes when he has a bad day, or something traumatic happens, but thankfully Rex and his brothers all know how to help him through it.