Five More Minutes (AN): GN Hange x F Reader

Hange was an incompetent scientist. Well, at least that was what they had thought. Their area of focus was the human body, they studied cells, microorganisms, the functions of organs, and much more. Coming up with solutions had been a part of their job, and they used to be good at it! Until they had been given an impossible equation until they had been given a limited time frame to save the one they loved...until they had only one year before they could figure out a way to save (Y/N).

Hange slammed the book they had been reading on the desk, frustrated. They wanted to yell, to throw everything away, they wanted to scream up into the sky and demand answers. Why had she, out of all people, gotten sick with a mysterious disease? Why had she, out of all people, been given only one year to live before her body shut down completely? Was it some kind of cruel joke—give the brilliant scientist's partner a disease with no cure and see how they panic?

"Hange?" A soft voice distracted them from their worrying and their frustrated expression instantly fell from their face. They straightened, painting on a bright smile.

"(Y/N)!" Hange opened up their arms, engulfing her in a warm hug. "How was your sleep, love? Do you feel more energized?"

She nodded. The diagnosis had happened three months ago. The fatigue, nausea, and fevers had made her believe that it was either stress or something normal, and she hadn't gotten it checked out until the day she fainted. It was then the doctors had her blood tested to discover a completely bizarre pathogen. They weren't sure if it was cancer or something else entirely, but they did notice the rapid way her body was decaying. Since there was no cure, no treatment, they sent her home with proper care instructions. Her life had a time limit now. 1 year. 365 days. It was driving Hange insane.

"Well, are you ready to head over to the park, then?" Hange asked, excitedly. They were referring to the national park where they were going to take her hiking. Apparently, the view from the overlook was amazing. Hange described it as ethereal.

"Sure," (Y/N) nodded, eyeing their visage closely. Their eye bags had grown darker, their eyes lacking the same luster that had been there three months ago, their shoulders drooped, and she wondered if they had even gone to sleep. When she had drifted off into slumber, Hange hadn't been in bed. Were they sleeping alright?

"Great!" Hange chirped, heading over to the closet. "Let me just change into some hiking books and shorts and then we can go have the time of our lives! Oh, and we can also have a picnic and..."

(Y/N)'s thoughts drifted off as Hange rambled on. The books on their work desk were all about human cells and mysterious pathogens. Had they been trying to find a cure? She felt her heart sink. Ever since she had been given the diagnosis, Hange had been toiling away at researching every single thing about her illness. They pretended like they weren't, instead of taking her places to have fun. They brushed it off as trying to go on fun dates, but some part of her wondered if they were trying to make her last year memorable. Had they accepted that she was going to die? (Y/N) had accepted it the second she had heard it. There was something within her that told her that what the doctors said was true. She wasn't going to have much longer left to live.

"Hange, you look tired," (Y/N) said quietly, watching as the brunette hopped around the room to put on their hiking boots.

"Huh? Me, tired? No way!" Hange beamed. They walked closer and grabbed both of her hands, eyeing the outfit she wore. "All you need is to wear some sunscreen and maybe bug repellent and then we can go!"

"Are you sure? You're not trying to find a cure or anything, are you?"

"No! I was just doing some light—"

"Hange, my love," (Y/N) cupped their face. "I appreciate you trying, I really do. But there's nothing that can be done. Please just spend the rest of my time with me? I just want to be happy with you, I ask for nothing else."