Nightmares (F): GN Hange x GN Reader

A/N: Hi guys! I was feeling down so I decided to write some fluffy content with my favorite comfort character—Hange! This is basically about how Hange would comfort the reader after a nightmare. I'm working on a Conny x Reader fic so that will be the next one :)

WARNING: There is gore/violence in the beginning (all of the italicized portion)

There was darkness everywhere. You looked around you, desperately trying to make out a face, or anything really, to escape this dark void. But no one was there. You were all alone. You reached out your hands blindly, attempting to feel where you were, but there was nothing.

"Hello?" You called, your voice meek. "Anyone there?"

You were met by silence. You quickened your pace, now running. Where? You didn't know. All of the nothingness that surrounded you was suffocating. Where was everyone? Where was Hange?

"Hange!" You cried out. "Where are you?"

You ran as fast as you could now, in this sea of black. Surely there was an exit somewhere. You were right and you stumbled into a room that had a dull red glow.

"Hello?" You whimpered, suddenly afraid of what was awaiting you in that room.

You braced yourself and walked in, shivers running down your spine when you noticed dripping blood on the walls. Your nose scrunched up at the foul scent, and you had to stop yourself from gagging. Your eyes scanned the area; so far there was nothing. You walked up to an old wooden door in the room, slightly pushing it open.

Your eyes widened at the scene in front of you and a scream built in your throat, yet you couldn't get it out. Hundreds of bodies were sprawled out in front of you. You felt stuck in place, unable to move. Your legs were heavy and sluggish, and it felt as if your throat was stuffed with cotton. You recognized the faces. They were the faces of everyone you'd ever loved.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N), wake up!"

Your eyes shot open and darted around the room, panicked that it was dark. But the moonlight streaming from the window brought some illumination and you were able to make out Hange's face peering down at you, worried.

Your chest was rising and falling quickly, your skin sweaty and hot. Your hair was plastered to your forehead and the back of your neck and your throat was hoarse. "H-hange?"

"(Y/N)," Hange sat up in bed, "are you okay? It seemed like you were having a really bad dream."

The vision of all of the bodies flashed in your brain and you felt tears well up in your eyes. You've never had such a realistic dream before, you felt as if you had been there. You could still see the blank looks on all of those faces—

"(Y/N)," Hange repeated softly, letting their slender fingers push your (h/c) hair out of your eyes.

"I had such an awful nightmare, Hange," you began, your voice raspy. "I...I saw everyone—"

"Shh, it's okay," Hange pulled your body close to theirs, wrapping their arms around you tightly as their hand stroked your head. You buried your face in their chest, your own arms reaching out and grasping onto their shirt.

"Hange, I couldn't find you," you sniffled, tears now streaming down your cheeks. "Everyone I knew was dead."

"It was just a nightmare, my love," Hange said soothingly, kissing your forehead. "I'm here, with you."

"But I saw—"

Hange pulled away slightly and reached for your hand. They gently declawed it from their shirt and brought it up to their chest, placing it flat against their warm skin. You could feel the rhythmic thump thump thump of their heart.

"Do you feel that?" They asked, placing their forehead against yours. Their wide brown eyes, illuminated by the moonlight, looked at you lovingly.

"Yes," you hiccupped.

"That means I'm here, with you," Hange whispered. They placed their own hand over your chest, feeling the faster thumpthumpthump. "Focus on my heartbeat, maybe that will calm yours too."

Your breathing eventually slowed down, lulled by the comforting feeling of Hange's heart. "Promise me you won't ever leave me?"

Feeling as if your heartbeat had returned to a normal state, Hange removed their hand, gathering you in their arms once again. They snuggled into the bed, you on top of them, and pulled the blanket over the two of you.

"I promise," Hange wrapped one arm around your waist and their other hand returned back to your head, stroking your sweaty hair.

"Because I can't live without you," your voice broke.

"You won't have to," Hange stated, determined. "you can't get rid of me that easily!"

You let out a weak smile. "Good."

"Try to get some sleep, okay? Think of good, happy thoughts!"

You rested your face on their chest, feeling their heartbeat against your ear. "Hange?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Can you talk or sing or something until I fall asleep? I can't get that horrifying image out of my head," you shuddered.

Hange let out a soft chuckle. "You want me to sing? My voice is nowhere near good, I'll probably scare away any sleep you have."

"Please?"

Hange let out a small smile and pressed their lips on your forehead. "Fineee, if it makes you feel better."

They began to hum a familiar melody and you could feel your eyelashes flutter closed. The feel of their heartbeat and their soothing voice eased your worries, and eventually, sleep overcame you. Your breathing slowed and you rested peacefully against Hange's chest.

They peered down at you and grinned. You looked adorable sleeping on them like that. They stopped humming and their eyes traveled the features of your face, glad that you appeared at peace.

"You better not leave me either, (Y/N)," Hange whispered. "I love you too much so I won't be able to live without you."