𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒: 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲

Start from the beginning

Regards, Officer James; South Carolina PD

Vanessa shifted in her seat, shutting the laptop closed and letting it sit there on her lap. Leaning her head back, she closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. A ding rang overhead, the captain started making his speech about their soon arrival in New York.

Vanessa's heart sank. She wished she wasn't on this flight. She wished things didn't go the way they did. She wished that Bourne would still let her do this mission and figure out where the others are. It felt like another failure. Another attempt at defeat against Warner. 

Was everyone supposed to just give up? Lose hope? Where was their faith? Were they not supposed to lean on God? 

To her, it felt as if Bourne didn't care anymore. 

Apparently, nobody did.

~~~

Giselle Daniels

Rapid, repeated knocks on the door made Giselle's knuckles turn red. 

"V? You in there?" She pushed herself away from the door once she realized it was no use.

"Giselle, maybe she's still at the hospital," Charlie leaned his body against the wall, Giselle couldn't tell if he was trying to be nice or he was just irritated.

"I've tried texting her multiple times, no answer," Giselle tried refreshing her messages and emails.

"Maybe her phone's dead?"

Giselle looked at him. Things still hadn't been the same since their last conversation. Although, by the tone of his voice and look in his eyes, Giselle desperately wanted to talk to him.

"Come on, let's just head to the hospital," Charlie straightened his back and lead her to the elevators.

Inside, she didn't know what to feel. On one hand, it had panicked her that her best friend had gone AWOL, on the other hand, she didn't know what to do or say around Charlie. Nothing seemed to be working out for her.

They made it into the elevator, dim music played in the background. Giselle sensed the familiar tune.

"Time can never mend the careless whispers of a good friend. To the heart and mind, ignorance is kind. There's no comfort in the truth, pain is all you'll find..."

"So... how have you been doing?" Charlie's rough voice broke through her thoughts.

"Oh, uh, good, I guess," she quickly glanced at him, trying not to cringe as she broke eye contact.

He nodded. "You sure?"

Giselle scratched her head."I'm just a little, I don't know... I'm just a little worried for Vanessa, and of course Matthew."

"It seems like everything happened at once," his face fell, he looked away.

"Yeah..." Giselle stared down at her feet.

This could be her chance. She should just ask him. Her heart was already beating hard enough, she didn't think it could go any faster. They were all alone, maybe they could finally spill their feelings.

Ding! - but they were already on the bottom floor.

They drove to the hospital, Charlie stopped to ask a nurse for directions to Matthew's room. 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Perry-Benson just got transferred to a hospital in New York, may I ask why you're looking for him?"

Giselle was shocked by the news. Nobody had told them of Matthew's sudden departure.

"We're friends of his," Charlie paused looking at the nurse.

"Was another woman in here maybe with him? Long dark hair and about my height?" Giselle asked.

The nurse turned to the area where some other workers were gathered. "Was there a Mrs. Perry-Benson in here at all?"

Everyone shrugged, the nurse turned back to them. "No, sorry. We've started keeping count of who comes into the hospital, but she must have come in on another shift."

"How many visits are there in total? Can we see?" Charlie asked.

The nurse sighed. "There was a total of two visits. One from yesterday and another about a couple of hours ago."

Giselle's eyebrows furrowed. "Did you see who it was?"

"The person that just visited? Yes, some strange-looking guy, I don't know. He said it was important. To be honest, he looked a little frightening."

Charlie looked at Giselle, she could tell he was thinking the same thing as her.

"C-Can you describe him, for us?"

The nurse leaned back, Giselle could tell she was getting hesitant at giving them this information.

"Please, this guy's life might be at risk, we need to know who was in here."

"I didn't catch his name. He had rough gray hairs and dressed in all black. Smelled like metal or something."

"Metal, you say?"

The nurse nodded. "That's really all I can say."

Giselle and Charlie thanked the nurse and made their way out of the hospital and into the car.

"Something's not adding up."

"I know... you don't think someone from Warner's gang might have paid a visit to Matthew, do you?"

Giselle sighed, shaking her head, staring at her phone. "Vanessa's not picking up. I'm going to contact Bourne."

"Good idea," he started the engine but didn't quite start to back out of the parking lot.

"Hey, Charlie," quick thinking led her to take advantage of the moment they had.

This is it...

"Yeah?"

Now or never...

"I, uh, just hope everything's going to be alright."

"Me too, Gi, me too."

Despite the explosion of mental slaps in her head, she couldn't help but not try to squeal when he called her by her nickname.

I have got to get over myself.

A/N

and the mystery continues...

fr tho I'm having the best time writing Giselle + Charlie's chemistry like AHHHH i already can see how it GOES!!!

[no spoilers tho, no spoilers.]

alrighty, I hope u enjoyed! if u have any QUESTIONS feel free to jot them down... (they're actually quite useful when I continue to write chapters!)