Esme

1923

Y/N walked down the street late one night with her husband, coming back from a gala just a ways from their home. She had her eyes cast down to the ground as she always did when she heard a strange sound in the distance.

Y/N head shot up and she stopped, looking around. Her halting had caused her husband Charles to stop too. He looked down at her, "What are you doing?"

She glanced at him momentarily before shaking her head, "Sorry, I thought I heard something."

He shook his head and sighed, "You and your imagination. We are not far from home, let's go."

Y/N nodded, "Yes, of course. Sorry."

After a few steps, she heard another sound. She stopped again and her husband tugged on her arm, "Come on. Let's go."

"I swear, I heard something, Charles," Y/N told him firmly.

He shook his head with a roll of his eyes, "It will be hours before we get back home if you continue on like this, Y/N."

In the next second, his arm was yanked from hers and he was no longer in front of her. She paused, now trembling in fear at the suddenness. "Charles? Charles, where did you go?" you called.

Y/N picked up the bottom of her dress as she tried to move faster to get back home. Suddenly, an arm wrapped around her and she was too quickly yanked into an alley.

Y/N regained her bearings, terrified by what was happening. When she turned around, she saw Charles' dead body lying on the ground, bloodstains on his expensive suit with a large wound on his neck.

She covered her mouth to keep from screaming when suddenly someone spoke right next to her, whispering in her ear.

"Hello, lovely."

Before she could turn around or scream or do anything, really, the person grabbed a hold of her and bit down into her neck. Her mouth was covered to prevent her from screaming and a terrible pain filled her body.

After a moment, Y/N was dropped to the ground next to her late husband. She writhed in pain, expecting to die soon.

The person looked down at her, she couldn't make out their face or anything about them because her vision was blurring in and out. They hummed before suddenly disappearing.

She was laying in that alley all night, writhing in so much pain that she couldn't even scream.

Before the early hours of morning light, the pain had slowly begun to subside. She looked around for the first time, amazed at what she saw. Everything was so...detailed.

It was as if she could see everything ten times -- a hundred times better -- than before. She slowly sat up and breathed in, a strange feeling in her throat she could not quite explain.

Y/N turned around and saw the blood stained body of Charles behind her. She took another breath in and she could smell the blood left over from the thing last night.

A strange curiosity filled her as she looked at the blood. Y/N dipped a finger in the pool of blood. She took a longer breath in, a sweet scent filling her senses. She darted her tongue out, licking the blood from her finger with a hum. It felt... strange, the feeling that washed over her.