Concussed

The sound of Chief Swan's car parking in his driveway next door didn't phase Y/N. It was when she heard the people talking where she decided to go to her window and see what was going on. She opened the window and stuck her head out of it in curiosity. She saw Charlie and Billy, a very familiar face, play fighting in Charlie's driveway next to the red pickup that had been parked there for a few days.

She looked over and saw Jacob, another familiar face because of his relation to Billy, and a girl. Y/N smiled when she realized just who the girl was. She waved out of her window like a child, "Hey, Bella!"

The group looked over and saw her peering down at them with the smile plastered on her face. Billy and Jacob smiled and waved, Charlie gave a small wave of her own. "Hey, Chief, Billy, Jake."

"Hello, Y/N. How are you?" Billy asked with a smile.

"Same ole, you know me," she responded.

A smile slowly spread across Bella's face as the recognition settled in, "Y/N, it's been forever, how are you?"

She smiled, "Hey, Bells. I'm good. It's great to see you again."

Y/N and Bella used to be great friends. She lived in Forks next to Charlie Swan her whole life. Her parents died in a car crash when she was very young and she was left with her grandfather, who died when she was sixteen. She began living on her own in the same house, too sentimental to move away. She had Charlie for adult supervision when she needed it, but she was pretty much independent otherwise.

Y/N, Bella, and Jacob used to play together all the time when she lived here with her. When she moved away, it was just her and Jacob. They hung around a little bit afterwards, but lost touch when they got into junior high. Y/N was currently a senior while Bella was a junior. She was a year older than her, which made her two years older than Jacob - another reason they lost touch.

Y/N stuck her head back in her window and made her way down the stairs and out of the house so she could get a better look at the group. She managed to get a short hug from Bella before they started talking again.

Billy smiled, "And there's the trio. I miss the days you were just little kids playing in the mud." Charlie nodded in his silent reminiscing.

Y/N smiled and nudged Bella a little, "Are you still clumsy?"

She chuckled lightly, "Are you?"

She smiled, "Fair enough. One reason we were such good friends-"

"You were both accident prone," Jacob finished with a laugh.

"Still are. You had to make sure we didn't get ourselves killed," Y/N joked. He nodded as he sighed, a smile on his face as he remembered the old days where you were just little kids.

Charlie spoke, patting the truck, "So what do you think of your homecoming gift?"

Bella's eyes widened in wonder and she looked from the truck to the people standing around her, "No way. The truck is for me?"

Charlie nodded, "Just bought it off Billy here."

Jacob smiled, "I rebuilt the engine and-"

"It's perfect!" She beamed, rushing to the truck with Jacob in tow. Y/N stuck by the window with a smile as she watched them. Bella got in and was given an overview by the long-haired boy while she rolled down the window for Y/N.

She turned to Jacob, "Maybe I can give you a ride to school."

He shook his head regrettably, "I go to school on the reservation."

Y/N spoke, "Maybe you can give me a ride. Jacob's fixing my car right now and I've been snatching rides from a couple friends from school."

She smiled, "Yeah, that'd be fine. It'll be nice knowing at least one person there."