Summer

It was summer time in Forks, Washington. Everyone was going out and having fun playing in swimming pools, hanging out with friends, having a general ball.

Well, mostly everyone.

Y/N was hiding out in the Cullen's house with her imprint. Why? Well, she was a werewolf and werewolves have naturally high body temperatures. That worked great in the fall and winter when it was cold out. Springs were a little hot, but nothing too extreme.

But then there was summer. It got too hot for you.

While her brothers and sister didn't mind the summer - they enjoyed hanging out in the sun and shoving each other around in the sweltering heat - she was hiding out in the cold protection of the house of vampires. Even before she first phased, she was extremely sensitive to the heat. It only got worse when she was naturally hot. Y/N so easily got hot.

Summer didn't help at all.

She was currently curled up in Carlisle's lap napping while he read to himself. He was so cool, it soothed her burning skin.

Y/N was awoken, however, when the phone began ringing. She grumbled and reached over clumsily before picking it up to answer it, not opening her eyes.

"Hello?" she asked groggily.

The sound of Seth's voice on the phone came through, "Y/N! We're headed out to the beach, you wanna join?"

"Is the sun out?" she asked, raising a brow he couldn't see. Carlisle chuckled lightly, the sound rumbled in his chest and soothed her further.

Seth hesitated, "Well...yes."

She answered, "Then no. Love to, but no."

He pouted, she could practically see his curled lip and furrowed brows at her rejection, "But you never hang out during the summer and we wanna hang out with you!"

She was ready to reject the offer again until he said, "If you don't come, it'll ruin the whole thing. Then I'd be sad, you don't want me to be sad, do you?"

Carlisle tried to bite back his laugh as he watched her visibly give in to the young wolf. Seth was the youngest. As the youngest, he was the cutest. No one could say no to him and not feel bad about it - well, except for Sam. But even he had his limits when it came to Seth.

She groaned, "Fine! But you owe me."

"Yes!" he exclaimed, "See you in a bit." He hung up the phone and she set it on the table again, grumbling to herself about manipulative puppies.

Carlisle laughed, "He's smart, I'll give him that."

She glanced up at her mate and muttered, "Maybe you should team up. Make a great team."

She moved out of his lap, stretching her limbs before dragging herself to her room with Carlisle to get her swim clothes. She had them on in no time, grabbing her bags and keys as she headed out of the house. She kissed Carlisle on the way out, he wished her a goodbye as she left.

As she stepped outside in the sun, she shielded her eyes as she looked up to the sky. It was so bright out. Gross.

The brighter the sky, the hotter the sun.

She started her trek to the Rez just across the ravine that drew their territory. She jumped across the ease, continuing down until she reached the houses where the boys and Leah were gathered around Sam's house waiting for her.

They almost cheered when they saw her. "Look who showed!" Paul exclaimed with his stupid smirk. He went to hug her and she held a hand out to keep him away.

Seth, on the other hand, went for a hug and she gave it. Paul threw his hands up and she said, "No one has a shirt on and you guys are hot. Only Leah and Seth can hug me. Emily is also allowed."

That's when she came out with Leah, packing the snacks into the back of one of the trucks for the beach. They both came over to hug her and she accepted their hugs.

"Let's go, you big dogs!" Emily exclaimed. Everyone else cheered with her, besides Y/N and Leah who groaned lightly. Y/N because of the heat and Leah because she was unsure of how much she really wanted to go. They would suffer together.

At the beach, however, it was quite fun. They played soccer, swam around in the pool and splashed water on each other, and ate food. Y/N spent most of her time in the water. The water was cool.

She spent most of her time with Leah, Seth, and Emily, occasionally with Jacob as well if he was up for it. The other hung out with the each other, shoving each other as they play fought.

They all started packing up when it got a little too hot. Even the water hadn't stayed as cool as it had been, the water absorbing some of the heat.

They all returned to Sam's house for first dinner - werewolves ate a lot of food - and Y/N threw in the towel. Leah took that as the cue that it was acceptable to leave and also left from the gathering. Seth stayed a little longer but eventually joined Leah.

Y/N started her journey back to the Cullen's house. But even the shade of the trees wasn't enough to cool her skin from the heat that surrounded the air around her.

It wasn't a while before she got dizzy, gathering enough strength to get across the ravine and farther into Cullen territory.

She really need to lay down - just for a moment. Her skin was burning from the heat and a headache was growing quickly the longer she walked. She sat against a tree, laying her head back and closing her eyes. She just needed to sit down, just for a few seconds.

Just a few seconds...

~

A few seconds later - seconds? She didn't know, it could've been hours - she opened her eyes to find herself in the shelter of the cool house of her imprint. There was an ice pack on her forehead and a fan spinning on the ceiling over her. Her headache had gone away, thankfully.

She looked over to see Carlisle watching her stir away. He gave a soft smile, "Hey." She hummed in response. She went to sit up and he hesitantly allowed her. He filled her in, "You hadn't showed up at the house so I searched for you - Sam said you'd already left. You were past out in the woods. You looked like you were melting."

She chuckled humorlessly, "I probably was..."

He smiled softly again, "Your temperature still hasn't gone down too much but you should cool soon."

She hummed again, closing her eyes with the ice pack still pressed to her forehead. After a moment, she removed the ice from his hand and he went to protest. Before he could begin to, however, she replaced it with his hands, pressing them to either side of her face and letting out a long sigh.

He smiled at her, pressing his cool lips to her forehead. She spoke in a lazy voice still laced with sleep, "That's better..."

She leaned into him more and it worked to cool her body way better than the ice and fan. She opened her eyes to see him again giving her a warm smile.

She shook her head, "Don't do that."

"Don't do what?" he asked her, amusing lining his tone.

"Smile at me like that. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and that's what got me in this mess..." she responded with her own small smile.

He laughed and that warm, fuzzy feeling filled her again, making her skin tingle with a slight shudder. He spoke gently, "I'll try my best."