Fragments (i)

Author's Note: G'day Folks! Thanks so much for reading this far. So, as you know, Companionship - Beyond Flesh is a work in progress (WIP) and as such there are bits that I'm not too impressed with myself and -- with the help of all of the useful reader comments -- will be subject to major edit. These fragment parts especially need work as they were direct from keyboard flash writes that I needed to brain dump in order to develop the story (i.e. get through the writer's block ;).  So, read 'em if you can ... good stuff follows. Thanks again for your support and please feel free to take a minute to PM or comment to let me know what you think. Best, PG :)

As Denver and Riggs entered the deck of the Merry Crabbe, the Parsifal's Virgo survivors stood casually. The mood in the room was already tense, and the appearance of the dominating horned figure caused a nervous shuffle. Ven Verde stepped forward just as Peter Grimes pushed his way from behind the two augers and announced, "Everyone this is Riggs!"

"Thank you, Captain." A diplomatic Ven acknowledged Peter's introduction and then addressed the new arrival, "Denver has often spoken of you over the years. It's a pleasure to meet you." She extended her hand in greeting.

Riggs reciprocated, firmly shaking the tall Ophiuchian's hand, "Yes, It must be a pleasure. I normally wouldn't associate with pirates -- or prisoners. You do realise that you're prisoners here don't you?" 

Sensing Ven's body stiffen, C-Buck who had been hovering close remarked under his breath, "Oh, is it just me or does this ship seem even smaller all of a sudden?"

Peter chimed in seemingly oblivious to the rising tension, "Mr Riggs, be assured that, in accordance with the protocol outlining the convention of shipwrecked soldiers and other space faring forces, Captain Verde and her crew recognise their prisoner status. In addition," he continued smugly "they have admitted salvage rights of the Parsifal to me."

Ven added calm and nonplussed, "Yes that's right. The paperwork's all in order ain't it D?" She ended with a nod to her first mate.

"Indeed." replied the aged auger as he rolled his eyes and patted Riggs on the back directing his friend toward the cockpit. "Over here is the external stream interface to SIS. But let me warn you that an unknown entity has taken control of the ship. I haven't yet risked a direct interface."

"Wise move," said Riggs "but here I suspect the takeover would have been via a built-in mechanism. All of these couriers are programmed to receive remote control from the Orr Refinery. A safety measure in the case that the vessel arrived at the system pilotless. I should be able to override these standard routines easily." Riggs slid herself into the command seat and a couple of seconds later reported, "I'm in -- the ship is ours."

There was a hum of relief across the deck. C-Buck raised his hands to Ven and Denver for a double high-five and was rejected by both. Taking the snub in his stride, the alchemist turned his attention Riggs' horns jutting from over the top of the command seat. He had noticed their significance the moment that Riggs appeared on deck and now was his chance to make an issue of it. He took a step closer to the seated auger and reached out his hand to touch, "Are these made of --"

Riggs' hand snapped out and intercepted C-Buck's wrist before his fingers landed on the precious orr. Without turning to face the curious Skyean, she began to squeeze and threatened plainly, "Attempt to touch me again, and I will break your arm. Do you understand Skyean?"

The pain in the spy's arm was intense and his reply quick, "Yes, yes. OK. No problem. Sheeze."

Riggs released his arm, and C-Buck nursed his wrist realising what Riggs had said. He had to respond quickly to protect his cover. Standing as tall as he could and trying not to wince at the lingering discomfort in his arm, "Ah, so what do you mean by 'Skyean'? Don't you mean 'Ophiuchian'? I'm just like the others here, one hundred percent Virgo Ophiuchian -- through and through!"

"Give it up C-Buck." Ven interjected, "The whole spy thing is the worst kept secret on the ship! But's that not important now. What is important is what we are we going to do next?"

Riggs answered, "Now that I have a valid return phase entry point I'm going back to my ship and returning to Earth Dock." She pushed back the seat from the command console, stood and proceeded to move towards the deck exit. Without a glance, she instructed Peter, "Captain. If you possess the skills to navigate this ship. You will follow my phase directly." She turned and placed her hand on Denver's shoulder,  "You many come with me".

Denver didn't respond, and it took Peter a moment to realise that Riggs was addressing him and not the Ophiuchian Captain, he snapped military-like in reply, "Yes Sir. Will do!" 

Before Riggs could continue, the comms lit up. Peter ran over to investigate. "I have an incoming message! It's from Emma Yee!"