Hard dock

The large ruin of the Ophiuchian assault craft made an imposing backdrop as the two courier ships prepared to join. The shaft of Companionship’s forward dock had extended and was moving toward the opening of the Merry Crabbe’s aft dock port. When the two brick-like ships aligned, Companionship nudged forward and coupled with a jolt. Connecting this way, couriers could string many units to form massive freight trains. Or, as in this case, hard dock provided entry to a ship drifting dead in space.

Inside the Merry Crabbe, the ancient and damaged aspect the auger Denver seemed hard and stern in the dim lighting of the fully packed cargo bay. He stood a figure of authority in his now clean white Ophiuchian uniform and barely lost a footing when the ships joined with a loud clang.  Peter Grimes, however, would have fallen on his face if he hadn't found a handhold on Denver’s arm offered in instant reflex. 

A round, grey figure, Peter seemed nervous. He knew the name of the one who was about to board his ship; Riggs was one of the most famous warriors who lived. But not in his wildest dreams had he imagined that he would be welcoming that elite auger onto his ship. 

When Denver's plan to communicate with Companionship was successful, those on the Merry Crabbe had discovered that the pilot of Companionship was the auger Riggs and not Max Jones as Peter had been expecting.  In the discussions that followed, Denver explained that he knew Riggs and that it would be best if he met the other auger alone. Ven trusted her advisor’s advice, but Peter became affronted insisting that he was the Captain here and quoted Agency protocol to back up his claim.  He would be the one to receive Riggs onto his ship. 

From down the passageway formed by the Companionship's docking mechanism, they heard footsteps as a monstrous figure appeared bearing golden-bronze horns slowly towards them. Peter let out a “What the--?!” and Denver tensed as a bent Riggs emerged from the docking tunnel. She was way too tall to walk completely upright.

Recognising the figure, the auger was still in the passage as Peter stepped forward with a hand outstretched, “Mr. Riggs, welcome aboard the Merry Crabbe. I'm Peter Grimes, and this is my ship." He quickly added, "Umm, without, being too forward, I am anxious to receive news of Max Jones. He is the original pilot of the Companionship?”

Riggs cleared the bridging tunnel and straightened, a head taller than both Denver and Grimes she seemed a figure of power, the dark grey administrative uniform accented her underlying taut and muscular figure.  Her pale, long face seemed overbearingly pompous as her gaze ignored the welcoming Captain and landed instead on the face of Denver. 

As one, the augers took a step towards the other and engaged in a awkward form of stoic embrace. Had Peter known anything about augers, he would have recognised this act of affection as one of the rarest sights in the Galaxy.  Looking on, he barely heard Denver whisper to Riggs, “I told you I would find you.”

Peter cleared his throat, “Excuse me. If you don’t mind my interruption, I’m very keen to know about Max. He is a friend of mine and, as I can see you two are friends, you would appreciate my concern.”

As if noticing the anxious figure of Grimes for the first time Riggs responded, “Your Max Jones is fit and in the good care of a god-like entity that calls herself Emma.” And continued as Peter relaxed, “Or, he is dead by the same hand.”  

“Oh!” exclaimed Peter, “What do you mean!?”

But Riggs had enough of that discussion and turned back to Denver, who looked thoughtful and asked, “This ship has been rendered immobile by one who identifies herself as  Emma Yee. This the same Emma that you refer to?”

“Possibly. It is more complicated than that. But let us go”, she indicated  to the docking tunnel that lead to Companionship, “we will have twelve years to discuss possibilities on our way back to Earth Dock. Do you have the phase coordinates for our return?”

Denver frowned, “No. I have not yet risked compromise to my systems by interfacing with this ship.” Then, the auger’s look shifted to concern and his voice sounded even older, “Besides, I've grown fond of the crew with whom I've been living and breathing with for the past twelve years. I could not leave them to an unknown fate.”

“Augi?” asked Riggs.

“No, there were three of us, but the others perished in the battle. Only humans remain. Ophiuchians.” Riggs shook her head in clear disappointment as Denver appealed, “Don’t be quick to judge, they are a worthwhile crew and especially the Captain Ven Verde. She could be an asset in the times ahead.” He changed the topic, “So is the outpost lost then? Is there any chance that we may make our way to the refinery on your ship?”

“No chance. That place is more dangerous than you could imagine and I would not be welcomed back. Now, take me to these humans of yours and I’ll see if I'm able to get this bucket back online.”

Peter heard Denver make a comment about the horns as the two augers moved off toward the deck. He stood dumbfounded, realising for the first time that there were powers in the Galaxy beyond his comprehension and that one of these was now on his ship.