Madness

"Can you hear that?" C-Buck asked Denver has they followed the orr construct off the docking platform tarmac, "It's like very faint music".

The aged and facially disfigured auger closed his eyes to concentrate on the sound and after a moment returned a raspy, nasal reply, "Yes, judging by the melodious repetition of the structured chord sequence it is music. I have tried to isolate the sound waves from my autex by filtering external analog input, but the sound persists. It seems that rather than environmentally ambient, it is being transmitted directly into our auditory implants."

"Can you make it stop? I can't block it." asked Ven, who was listening in to their conversation.

"No, I can not." answered Denver.

"Hey! Emma?" Ven called out to the orr construct that was gliding over the ground ahead of them. "What's this music we can hear? Can you please make it stop?"

Without even an acknowledgement, Emma ignored the Captain.

"Well," admitted C-Buck, "It's not all that bad -- kind of catchy really."

"I'm glad you enjoy violation Skyean" injected Riggs, "I'll keep that in mind for later."

The auger's situational awareness enhancements seemed to provide her with a sixth sense; they kicked in, and she looked up into the expansive dome cavity, the path providing a break in the artificial forest canopy. The others in the group followed her gaze. Floating high above they could see a figure mounted upon, what looked like from the distance, a black brick.

"I was expecting a pink fluffy unicorn, but hey, why the hell not?" offered C-Buck.

"That appears to be the courier Max Jones. Do not ask me as to what he is being carried by." Riggs addressed the group.

Peter Grimes exclaimed, "Max! Are you sure it's Max? How can you tell? It's so high? I can't make out a face."

"Yes. I am sure."

Emma abruptly stopped and turned.

The group, as one came to sudden stop. An unexpecting Evenjevy crashed unintentionally into the back of Ven whom he was following. The embarrassed Doctor gave his understanding captain an apologetic smile as Emma addressed the group, "Max is being carried by the first of our offspring, it is named One. Do not be alarmed at One's appearance. I can assure you that the child is every bit as human as you or me."

Ven could see C-Buck about to make what was likely to be a witty but seriously antagonising remark, so quickly punched his arm and sent the alchemist an intense look of warning. C-Buck's pained expression as he rubbed his arm showed that the intervention had been a success.

"This world that you have created Emma is so beautiful and wondrous. We are amazed beyond words and can not wait to meet Max and your offspring, One." Ven offered in her most respectful and diplomatic tone.

Seemingly pleased with the Captain's response, Emma turned and continued to lead the group towards the center of the domed outpost.

While the golden path was perfectly straight in its alignment with the center of the outpost, the lay of the land was not flat. So their trek followed the rise and fall of several hills. They had been walking for some time and, judging by the near glow of the warm light above the canopy ahead, they were near to the center. As they made their way to the top of one last hill, they could hear voices. Riggs whispered to Ven and the others, I can hear Max and the outpost's Churchman and also the orr--," he hesitated, "and also Emma".

An impressive figure drenched in light, Emma stood at the hilltop and waited for the group at catch up, ordering, "We will wait here."

At the top of the hill, the group looked down into a grove clearing they lay around the base of the great tree. Rigg's assessment had been correct; before them in the clearing stood a scene from a some bizarre fairytale: The horned figure of the Devil was swinging a greatsword above its head in posture towards the spider-like creature that Max had been riding. Max stood by also beside another orr figure, this one in the form of a petite woman who appeared heavily pregnant.