thirty three

"Can you do it?" Ten asked.

"Yeah leave it to me," Chaerin answered with a grin.

"It's a simple mission just drop him off and pick him up," Ten instructed. Chaerin held up an okay sign then went to Winwin to see the location and coordinates.

"You ready Chae?" Jeno asked from the hall peeking in the room.

"Yeah," Chaerin followed Jeno to the hall and walked beside him, she handed him his earpiece while also wearing hers.

They walked down the stairs to see Xiaojun waiting in the foyer along with Jaemin and Mark.

"We're ready to go," Chaerin told Xiaojun.

"I'll head out first," Xiaojun announced heading out the door. He was taking a separate transport since he was a sniper, he had to set up on-site and get an angle ready beforehand.

"See you guys later," Jaemin waved goodbye.

"Don't get hurt," Mark reminded them as they began to leave. Chaerin looked back and winked at him before shutting the door.

"Communication check," Ten spoke.

"Loud and clear," one by one they responded.

Chaerin then started the car and drove to the pinned location. The mission was fairly simple, Jeno just had to pick up a package from a source then leave, Xiaojun was there just in case someone tries something.

The mission was finished in less than an hour and they delivered it back to Taeyong.

Mark was sitting on the couch in the living room zoned out. Chaerin approached him and called out his name.

"Mark? Mark!"

"Yes? What?"

"You've been spaced out since yesterday," Chaerin said sitting beside him, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he answered waving it away, "How was the mission?" He asked, scanning her for injuries.

Chaerin raised an eyebrow at the change of topic but answered anyway.

"All good, nothing particularly interesting," She paused before continuing, "I'm here to listen if you want to talk but if you don't feel like talking that's okay too," she reminded him.

He gave her a small smile.

Chaerin looked at her wristwatch then back to Mark.

"There's a race today, you wanna come with?"

• • •

"The dreamies are going to complain you know," he said with a chuckle.

They were back at Gojung-gil and it was lively as ever.

Mark removed his seatbelt and reached out to the door handle but a hand on his other wrist stopped him.

"Where are you going?" Chaerin asked, her eyebrows scrunched up.

Mark looked at her in confusion, he pointed outside, "Outside?"

"You're riding with me,"

"What?"

"You don't want to?"

"I do, but you don't let people ride shotgun," he stated still puzzled.

"Yeah you're an exception," she said like it was obvious.

"Wait here I'll just register," Chaerin told him and Mark just nodded absent-mindedly.

Chaerin went back a few minutes later and strapped herself back in and advised Mark to do the same.

"Have you ever raced or rode shotgun?" She asked. He shook his head.

"Are you nervous?"

"Should I be?" He asked a bit skeptical.

"No, not with me," she winked, "If you were in a different car and a different driver, then maybe,"

People outside signaled that the race was about to start, and Chaerin did the last run-through before focusing on the flag in front of her. As soon as the flag dropped, she lifted her brakes.

Adrenaline was coursing through her veins and their surroundings passed by like a blur.

Chaerin fell in love with street racing because it made her feel alive. It was the one thing the brought her out of her self isolation.

This time however it was different.

The only person that she allowed to sit on the passenger seat was her brother, ever since then she didn't let anybody else do it, that is until now.

The sound of laughter rang in her ears and she took a glance at the person sitting beside her. A smile made its way to her face.

Every moment with you is exhilarating.

___________________________

exhilarating | mark leegabrielle_010

gabrielle_010