74. Through Hell

It would be a lie, no, the exaggeration of the century if she was to say it didn't hurt.

It did.

But what was strange was that she was able to feel it. Everything.

'Shouldn't I be dead?'

That was what she had actually hoped for. Quick death and she wouldn't have to go through this torture of feeling her body being pierced.

Rinea had to be dead. This arrow had penetrated her chest and pierced her heart. She should be dead and...

She shouldn't be having a hard time breathing heavily, barely able to catch her breathe.

Her hands naturally went to grab her neck and she then looked down and...There was no blood. No wound. No...

No. Anything.

Huh...

'Are you kidding me?!'

Couldn't one die without regret in this damn world?!

'No, wait, this is...'

Rinea was stunned by the dead silence surrounding her. But she realized this too late. Too late, too – too much – late...

When she moved her head in confusion grasping the situation before herself – Cassian and that thing still before her making it hard for the girl to see Yuriel – she felt force just behind her.

Hatred. Determination. Irritation.

'What the h...?!'

"...RINEA!"

"Uggh...!"

She exclaimed lowly as she was abruptly pushed to the floor, a some meters from the place she had been standing.

This voice...

'No...'

Rinea tried to come up with something – anything – but her voice seemed not to be able to come out. Was she dumb? For so long she had been fighting with her stuttering, but now it was all in vain.

Now there wasn't even a way she could think of to make herself speak.

Her eyes stared blankly at the scene that had unfolded before her. And with a distant realization, her mind led her to a recent memory...

"Miss, a knight is requiring your presence."

That person who had come to Leo's mansion to see her and deliver the king's message for the meeting...

Why was he now here with a dagger stained in blood, part of which was now dropping on the ground?

'He, he, he, he...'

He had attempted to stab her. Rinea.

'No, no, no, no...that's...'

Impossible.

In the first place she couldn't even grasp why she was still alive and breathing. And now, now, now...

"Ga...le."

It was his voice she had heard just now. He had come to her rescue. As always.

'Damn it, you...'

Rinea wanted to cry, to tear and scream, and yell, and break...

But none of this could make any difference. This – this – was the harsh reality. This was what had happened because she hadn't been able to help...