seven: words

The door swung open, and Emily and Spencer stepped out onto the back porch.

In front of them were ten people. Five men that they didn't recognize, standing. Kneeling in front of them was Hotch, JJ, Morgan, Penelope, and Rossi, in an execution-style manner. 

"Where's... Queenie and Harvey?" Emily asked.

One man laughed ruthlessly. "Please. You thought they would still be alive?"

"What?" 

"When you're in a line of business like mine, loyalty is they key to success and trust. When someone breaks that trust and starts killing all your employees, you don't just let them be wild. You stop them. You keep them from getting you noticed by a lawsuit."

"I don't think that was as relatable as you thought it would be." Spencer said under his breath and shook his head. "You killed them so nobody could send them to jail?"

"So nobody could know what happened and what they did."

"But that doesn't matter anymore. There are witnesses." Emily said.

The man who seemed to be leading them raised his eyebrows at them, as if they had just proved his point.

Emily and Spencer's eyes drifted to their team.

"You're going to kill all of us so your 'business' doesn't get in trouble? You 'business' is crime based, you're in trouble anyway!" Emily appealed. "You already killed Queenie and Harvey, we only had any evidence against them! If you leave now, nothing will happen to you or your crime ring. We couldn't take you down even if we were inclined to try."

The leader shook his head and chuckled. "How can you assure me that you wouldn't try to charge us for this?"

Spencer stepped forward. "You talk about trust, and it's worth the risk, isn't it? Everyone will know who did it if all of us and Queenie and Harvey died, because everyone knows that they were after us and you were after them. They can only guess that you killed them, but if all of us turn up dead along with them, then they'll have more murders to pin on you. Do you understand how much harder they'll try to convict the murderers of seven FBI agents rather than two mafia members? It isn't right but it's the truth." 

The man stood, surprisingly, he was considering their words.

"If I didn't kill you, you would all still know who we are and... I don't think you'll forget this encounter."

"We have no idea who you are. All we know is that you are part of the mafia group Queenie and Harvey were in. That's all."

"There are four dead agents or police officers inside your house right now. What are you gonna do about them," the man asked. "Say you did it? Say you don't know what the killers looked like?"

"It's dark enough that I can barely see the outline of your face.  We wouldn't be lying." Emily said, and it was true: they only knew that they were in the mafia, but there was no way to tell what they looked like.

"Just let them go." Spencer breathed cautiously. 

Could they actually make it out this time?

"I've thought it through..." The man said. "And I appreciate the offer. Unfortunately, though, I won't be taking it."