Chapter Nine

Later that night, when Lucas and I have simmered down a small amount, we all have dinner together. Lucas puts out a variety of meats, breads, cheeses, and condiments, and chocolate cake on the table. I take a piece of rye bread and put turkey and cheese on it, and we eat in silence.
Just when the silence becomes so strong that my ears begin to ring, we hear a knock at the door. Lucas hops up from the table without a word, and Marie and I dart under the table. I watch Lucas' feet slowly approach the door, and I fear that my heart beat is so loud that it can be heard from a mile away. Marie stares at me with terrified eyes and I look at her calmly, hoping to put her at ease.
Lucas' hand reaches the door knob in slow motion, and my heart skins to my stomach faster than the speed of light. He opens it leisurely at first, but when Lucas sees who it is, he pulls it open swiftly in relief. Incomes a tall, dark skinned guy who looks around Lucas' age - maybe a little younger.
"Arnold!" Lucas pats Arnold on the shoulder and welcomes him in his apartment.
"Hey man! Whats up?" Arnold asks.
"Not much. Were having dinner. Come to the table, have a bite to eat."
Marie gets up from under the table with a relaxed smile on her face. Eventually, I get up too.
"Hey Marie!" Arnold hugs her.
"And, who are you?" Arnold looks to me.
"Oh, hi. Uh, I'm James." I stutter back, still recovering from the shock.
"Well hi James. I'm Arnold."
"Hi." I say again, awkwardly.
"Come, sit. Have a sandwich." Lucas butts in.
As soon as everyone finds a seat at Lucas' unsteady table, Lucas begins to
to tell Arnold everything. I watch as Arnold's face fades to confusion into frustration.
"You can't leave!" Arnold spits at Lucas. Its almost surprising that Arnold says such a thing. Arnold's whole look in general is very polite, shy almost. But he's dauntless. And I guess at times it shows.
"I don't want you coming. Its too dangerous." Lucas says to Arnold.
"You're all the family I have left." Arnold pouts.
He rests his elbows on the table and puts his head in his hands, as if he is about to cry - but he doesn't. And again, we sit in silence. After about fifteen minutes of no talking, Lucas takes our plates from us and carries them to the kitchen.
Arnold still looks miserable, but he's picked his head up and gives Marie and I a smile. His eyes examine the table as if he's looking for something. He reaches his hand out to the bowl of olives across from him and robs two olives from the dish. He puts one in each of nostrils, sticks his tongue out, and crosses his eyes. Marie and I laugh, and Arnold starts to imitate a list of animals one after the other. Lucas comes in from the kitchen and the boldness of his presence silences all of us. He stares at Arnold in a strange way until his lips spread apart and he begins to laugh, as well.
As hard as Arnold tries to lighten the mood, his silly act only reminds me of how young we all are, and how close we are to death.