Chapter 10 She Sells Sea Souls

"You honestly don't look a day over twenty-four." I woke to the Demon conversing with Margot.

"Why thank you." She replied.

I kept my eyes closed, still dreary from sleep.

"I'd imagine your family looking much like the Kardashians or something."

Margot laughed. "I wish. I actually have a grandmother who was a Voodoo Queen."

"Now that doesn't surprise me at all. I actually knew a few Queens back in the Human Realm, some in New Orleans."

"And by knew you mean...?"

"I screwed them." They answered simply. "A few Kings too, a few princes here and there-"

"-We get the idea." I finally sat up, rubbing my tired eyes.

"We really do." Iris woke next.

"If you want, I can entertain you with stories of a few balls with Marie Antoinette." 

"She was a child!" Margot was appalled.

"I didn't sleep with her-I'm not an animal." The Demon stood and the rest of us followed so we could continue our journey.

"But you are a Demon." Iris reminded.

"I can assure you that Demons have more morals than Angels, let me remind you all that Angels are the ones that fell."

"They actually have a point." I admitted.

"You have always been my favourite Sunshine." They tossed me a gracious grin.

"You are the definition of a teacher's pet." Iris jibed my way as grass grave away to sand dunes.

"Why? Because I became a teacher?" 

"Yes." She nodded. "You know Mr. Shepherd had a crush on you."

I couldn't believe she was bringing up such things in front of the Demon and Margot. "Can we not do this here?"

"You know it's true though. He gave you such good marks and everyone in your class told me it was because he liked you."

"When were you talking to my class?" I turned to her.

"Were you screwing them?" The Demon put forward.

"What? No." She blushed. "I don't date anyone younger."

"I see the ocean!" The Demon took off running towards the faint line of blue a shade darker than the sky in the distance.

"They're like a puppy." Margot turned to me with a laugh.

"A very weird, demonic puppy." Iris sneered.

"Astaroth was right, we did get here quicker this way." We had reached the sea days before I had calculated from the map.

I kicked off my boots and socks, relishing in the grains against my bare feet and a solid connection to the land.

The Demon frolicked in the waves that lapped heartily against the shore, foam frothing white.

"So, we found the sea, but where are the Witches?" Iris scanned the open water that stretched far to the horizon.

"I guess we should just follow the shoreline." Margot suggested. "The only question is which way to go."

"I would say let's play heads or tails, but I don't have any money with me." I offered no solutions.

"I have an idea." The Demon returned to us from dancing in the ocean, wet from head to toe. "Let's spin someone around in a circle with their eyes closed and wherever they end up facing is the way we go."