Chapter 22

I stormed off towards my room behind pissed that our efforts seemed to have absolutely no effect on Bucky. All I wanted was to go back to how it was, was that too hard to ask?

I try to watch a movie but head to the gym instead to find it completely empty. Perfect. I started punching the bag rapidly but it still wasn't enough for release. I needed a real fight. I quickly threw on a neutral hoodie making sure to pull the hood past my face. I grabbed Bear's leash and headed out.

I always head out on random nights making sure to look out for the little guy and helping whoever I can along the way. I find a pair of young twins, a boy and a girl who looked no older than 7 huddled together in a dark alley shaking and lost.

"Do you guys need help?" I ask crouching down to their level. They hesitate but soon nod wordlessly. I reach my hands out which they gladly take and help them up.

"What are your names?"

"Kai and this is my brother Logan." The little girl responds.
"How did you get here?" I ask as they scoot a little closer.

"We were playing hide and seek but then we couldn't find mom and dad and we didn't know what to do." Logan sobbed as I pulled him into a hug.

"I'll get this all sorted out ok." I lead the twins to a nearby restaurant and ordered them something to eat while I went back and forth with the police station. They decided to send the parents right to the restaurant. After Logan and Kai went home with their family I continued my little mission.

By then end of the night I had successfully found 2 lost children, saved a girl from being mugged by a group of drug dealers, found someone's puppy, and got into a few fist fights with people who needed to learn a lesson or two. I also managed to bust my lip, scatter bruises across my body and probably break a bone or two. My nose was broken for sure. I quickly made my way back to the compound silently hoping and praying that Bucky had woken up.

"Jr Stark where have you been?" Pepper shouted as soon as I walked through the door.

"Out." I mumble pulling my hood up ever farther.

"That's not an acceptable response young lady, you were gone for hours alone at night in New York City!"

"I wasn't alone. There are literally thousands of people who live in New York Pepper. Plus I had Bear."

"Jr! That's not what I meant and you know it."

"It's not like you're my mom! I don't have to listen to you. And I never will. Where's dad?"

"I can't believe your behavior Jr, your father gushed about how amazing his daughter was but recently you're making him eat his words. Your dad is probably in the lab. Leave him alone he doesn't need to be bothered by you.  Just go to your room or something."

I roll my eyes and head off looking for dad. He wasn't in the lab so I decided to tinker and mess around for a bit. It's a nice distraction but it's not enough. I head upstairs and quickly clean up my face and the few cuts I had. I crashed on my bed trying desperately to escape this reality.

———————————————————————

Steve helped a very disoriented Bucky walk towards the medbay and helped him get on a hospital bed while JARVIS got Bruce and Tony.

"So what's been going on while I was...sleeping?"

"We'll Jr came back and I mean not just physically. It took a while but she came back to us. And I know you worry about her a lot but she's going to be ok."

"Manchurian Candidate nice of you to finally wake up."

Bucky momentarily distracts Steve and then flips Tony off.

"Hey Bucky." Bruce greeted in a much nicer tone than Tony.

"Hey."

Bruce did a quick check over of Bucky and decided he was all healed but just a little sore.

"You're all cleared Bucky. Just take it easy for the next few days."

"Thanks Banner."

Bruce and Tony go off on their own leaving Steve and Bucky alone in the medbay.

"Whatcha wanna do now Bucky?"
"Eat."
"Ok fair enough. I'll grab us something to eat."

The two super soldiers sat on the couch happily watching Disney movies and stuffing their faces with popcorn. All was right in the world.

"Mr Rogers, Ms Stark seems to be in distress again." JARVIS announces causing Steve to immediately jump up.

"I'll be right there."
"I'm coming with you Steve." Bucky insisted.
"Bucky just stay here, you're not feeling well."
"Steven Grant Rogers I am coming with you and there is no stopping me."
"Fine. Let's go."

————————————————————————
"Miss Stark are you okay?"

"I'm fine JARVIS just, I'm fine." I answer quickly. My whole body was still shaking and the signs of an oncoming panic attack quickly start to appear. My heart was pounding, my whole body shaking and my breathing was erratic. Sweat almost instantly appeared on my face while I tried desperately to calm down.

"Jr it's Steve. I'm coming in."

I make no effort to block the door mostly because I'm too disoriented to really move.

"Jr what's wrong?" Steve asks crouching down to be eye level with me.

I saw someone else behind him but my vision was too blurry to see. My breathing was did short and erratic that I was barely able to say anything.

"I-I"
"Ok Jr, I need you to calm down." Steve coaxed. "You're hyperventilating, you're going to get sick and pass out."
"Ste-Steve."
"I know sweetheart, just try to copy my breathing."
Steve purposely exaggerated his breathing pattern but I still couldn't seem to calm down. The feeling of nausea hit me and I could feel the contents of my stomach climbing up my throat.  Steve quickly retrieved a waste basket while I emptied my stomach.

"Just let it out Jr, you'll feel better in a minute. What can I get for you?" Steve asks concerned.

"Make it stop Steve...please." I whisper with tears slowly falling down my face.

"Jr I wish I could. I really do."

"Hey doll." Someone whispers, my head whips in the direction of the voice knowing instantly it belonged to Bucky.

"B-Bucky?"
"Yeah it's me doll." He admits slowly getting closer until he is right in from of mr pulling me into a hug.

"Wait no, you were in a coma. I was there I saw it!" I shout in disbelief, you were out cold...because of me." I trail off.

"Hey none of that. You don't get to blame yourself, you had no control. And yes I was in a coma but I'm here now. I promise, I'm not going anywhere."

"And if he breaks that promise I'll kill him, then probably get mad." Steve teases. I give into Bucky and slowly place my head back on his shoulder while I listened to him humming. Slowly I lost my fight to stay awake and every passing second I longed for sleep even more.

"Just rest doll. I'll be here when you wake."

And with that I fell asleep for what seemed like the first time in weeks.