Chapter 38

It had been 3 excruciatingly long days since May's passing. Peter basically planted himself on the couch and hadn't moved since. He barely ate, and had only slept for an hour or two at most. The most concerning part was that he appeared to be numb to everything. He had yet to cry since leaving the hospital and his vocabulary consisted of about 5 different words, yes, no, thank you, and I'm fine.  His eyes were sunken in and his skin was pale from lack of nutrition. He was never alone though, someone on the team made sure to always be close in case something happened.

We were sitting on the couch, another Star Wars movie droning on in the background, not that either of us were paying attention anyway.

"Hey Pete." Dad whispered pausing the movie but Peter was too lost in thought to even hear him.

"Peter." I whispered shaking his shoulder a bit.

"Hmm? Oh, hi Mr. Stark." He mumbled.

"So Peter, we have the arrangements set for the ceremonies. They'll start the day after tomorrow, the wake will be Thursday night, and the funeral will be Friday morning." Dad explained.

"Ok. I need to get a new suit thought. Can I borrow one of the cars? It'll only be for an hour or two."

"Pete you're in no shape to be driving, I'll take you. Why don't we go tonight, I think a few of the guys need to get suits too." Dad offered.

"Ok, I'll go get ready."

——————————————————————————

Within an hour everyone was ready to leave for the store. Dad climbed into the drivers seat with Steve taking shotgun. Peter climbed into the back with Clint, Sam, and Happy. It was uncharacteristically silent as the group drove downtown towards their destination. Tony parked right in front of the shop and everyone piled out, except Peter.

"Why don't you guys go in, I'll talk with him." Dad suggested already leading Sam, Steve and Happy inside.

Tony took a breath to settle himself before opening the car door and sliding in next to Peter.

"How you holdin up kid?" He asked.

"I'm fine."

"Pete, I know you're not fine. I know you think pretending it didn't happen will somehow make things better, but it's only going to hurt more by holding everything in. It's not safe or healthy, and you know I want what's best for you." Tony sympathized rubbing his hand up and down peter's back.

"It's not fair." Peter grumbled.

"I know."

"I'm just a kid."

"I know."

"It hurts." Peter whispered lowering his face to try to hide his tears from his mentor.

"I know." Tony whispered pulling Peter into a hug.

This caused the dam to break. Everything that Peter had held in for the past 72 hours came out in the form of a gut wrenching sob. Tony's heart broke for the young kid. It was devastating to lose someone important in your life, but Peter had lost both of his parents and his aunt, the closest thing he had to a parent in as little as 17 years.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Peter wailed. Gripping onto Tony tighter afraid he might leave him too.

"It's ok Pete, you have nothing to apologize for."

"I'm fucking Spiderman. I risk myself every day to help complete strangers, but as soon as it comes to my own aunt I'm fucking helpless!" He shouted while trying to pull his hair.

"Pete. Pete! PETE. Don't do that." Tony instructed pulling his hands away from his hair. "You are not useless, Spiderman or not there was nothing that you could have done. I know it sucks but you have to realize that you can't blame yourself. You can't go down this path kid, it doesn't end well."

Peters outburst had reduced to an occasional tear and small sniffles. He did his best to compose himself in front of his mentor.

"I know it's not gonna be easy, but are you ready to go in?" Tony asked carefully.

Peter nodded before exiting the car.

He ended up finding a suit as did the rest of the group. It was almost 5:30 when Tony had finished checking out.

"Pete are you up for maybe going out to dinner with the rest of the team?" Steve suggested hoping the change in environment would boost his mood even if just for a bit. Peter was also losing weight fast, with his enhanced metabolism he needed over double what the average person would need just to stay borderline healthy. He wasn't even eating enough to provide adequate nutrition for a small child.

"That sounds ok. Can we go to the burger place?" He asked quietly.

"Of course son." Steve beamed that he was willing to join.

———————————————————————————

"How is he holding up?" I asked Dad as he climbed out of the car.

"He's having a rough time which is understandable. We just need to be there for him. Suits have been bought and the flowers have been ordered. The next few days are only going to get worse, so just be there for him. I don't know if there is much else we can really do at the moment."

"Yeah, whatever he needs."

At dinner Peter had managed to eat an entire burger, some fries and even a few chicken wings which was more than he had in the last 3 days combined.

"Does anyone want anything else, or should I ask for the check?" Dad asked.

Everyone had mutually agreed that it was time to head home and piled back into the cars.

"How bout I take you out for a milkshake Pete, like old times?" I asked quietly

"Yea.... that sounds nice." And for the first time in several days Peter actually smiled. It was small and only lasted for a brief moment, but it was a smile none the less.

———————————————————————————

I sat across from Peter in a small booth in our favorite diner trying to think of something to say. What do you even say to someone who just lost all of their relatives before they even turn 18.

"I know this is probably all you hear now, but I am sorry. I know what it's like to lose someone so close to you, biological mother or not she was your mother. If you need anything, I mean it let me know and we'll make it happen."

He nodded for a second before opening his mouth to speak, closed it again and sat trying to think. I dropped the conversation knowing if he wanted to talk he would and got up to place our order. I didn't even need to ask, we had the same order every time. Two milkshakes, once chocolate and one strawberry, but split the shakes in half so we each could have some of each flavor. Then a side or two of fries for dipping. Everyone around us would always think we're crazy but we found comfort in the simple routine.

I headed back to the table with food in hand before Peter decided to speak again.

"I know I sound dismissive when people start asking me how I am, but I really do like the idea that people care for me. Y'know?"

"Yeah I get that. I know everyone on the team shows their love differently but they really all do care about you Pete."

"I know that, but it's just nice to be able to see it I guess."

"Well you're going to see the shit ton of caring Calvin and I do for you tomorrow when we take you out. I'm not letting you mope around the house anymore with all of that time to sit with your mind. Anywhere you want, as long as it's mostly legal I can make it happen."

"I want to go to the zoo. May and I always used to go together, and I think it might be a nice little memorial almost to go there. If that's alright with you guys."

"DEAL! I've been wanting to go back ever since I last tried to sneak a penguin out of there. I was so close too!"

Peter chuckled before nodding, "Alright the zoo it is."