Chapter 11

I wake up in the medbay with a throbbing pain in my head. I look over to see Steve sitting in a chair with a book in his lap and his head hanging down. He was fast asleep.

"Hey you're up." Bruce says walking towards my bed.
"Yeah I'm up."
"How are you feeling?"
"I'm feeling surprisingly okay."
"That's good, you took a nasty fall and cracked your head open, you have a few staples and a concussion. Take it easy for the next week or so."
I groan in frustration knowing the next few days were going to be hell.
"Oh come on Jr, a few days of bed rest isn't going to kill you."
"Can I at least be in my own room?"
"I don't see why not."
I take off the wires that connected me to the heart monitor causing it to automatically blare one monotonous beep jolting Steve awake.
"What happened? What's wrong?" He asks running over.
"She's fine Steve we just disconnected the monitor." Bruce explains.
"How ya feeling sweetheart?" Steve says sidehugging me.
"I feel fine. Just a little fall no biggie."
"If you say so Jr."
Bruce and Steve walk me to my bedroom and say goodbye before I go into my room. I get in the shower and rub off the remnants of my run. I finish quickly throwing on a t shirt and some sweats with a fluffy towel draped loosely around my shoulders. I say on my bed and listen to some music, not as loudly as I would have liked as Bruce had prevented me from doing so, while Bear curled up at my feet. I felt my body relax one tense muscle at a time until my body basically fell limp.

"Hey Jr, can I come in?" Nat asks.
I immediately grab a hoodie I keep next to my bed and pull it over my head before allowing Nat entry to my room.
"How are you feeling?" She asks placing a gentle hand on my head.
"I feel perfectly normal to be honest."
"Okay then. I brought you some breakfast, you should be hungry." She smiled sweetly holding out a tray of French toast.

I didn't know what to do. My body felt hungry but I had no desire to eat anything. I just wanted to be left alone. I feel so bad knowing Nat spent all of this time on a quality breakfast just for me to throw it up in the toilet.

"Jr are you okay?" She asks snapping me out of my trance.
"Yes of course. Thanks for the breakfast Nat." I say giving my most convincing smile. I expected her to leave after that but instead she sat beside me on the bed while I ate. I only managed to eat half of the entire meal and if I took another bite I would throw up right here, right now.
"Nat I'm really tired I think I'm just going to sleep for a bit." I lie.
"Okay I'll take this tray, get some sleep okay."
"I will. Love you Nat."
"I love you too kiddo." Nat leaves with the tray and as soon as I hear the quiet click of the door I ran straight to my bathroom and threw up everything. I washed out my mouth and brushed my teeth again before laying back down in bed. My head was filled with sharp shooting pain to an almost unbearable point. Bruce said something about my fracturing my skull in the process of my fall which doesn't help anything. I was too stubborn and didn't want to inconvenience anybody by asking for anything. Tears slowly fill my eyes as I try to fall asleep to get rid of the pain for a few hours at least.

"Jr can I come in?" Dad asks from the other side of the door. I quickly wipe my eyes with my sleeve and grant him access.
"Hey kiddo how are you feeling? Anything I can get for you?"
"Just a little tired that's all."
"Okay I was just checking in, don't let me keep you from getting the rest you need. I love you babygirl." He says kissing my forehead.
"Love you too dad."

I manage to fall asleep shortly after but even in sleep I can't find peace. I bolt upright from a nightmare internally cursing for how quickly I moved. My head throbbed worse than before and a few tears escaped from my eyes. My breathing was still heavy and my hands were shaking furiously.

"Miss Stark would you like me to get your father?"
"No Jarvis I'm good. He has work to do leave him alone."
"Is there anyone else I can get for you?" He asks again.
"No Jarvis I'm okay."
"Miss Stark are you sure-"
"JARVIS IM FINE."
I rolled back over in attempt to fall back asleep but I failed miserably. Bear started getting antsy and needed to go outside. I grabbed his ball and headed outside to the yard.
"Run boy." I yell throwing the ball causing Bear to sprint in the opposite direction. I sit down leaning against a tree trunk enjoying the quiet. Every so often Bear would bring the ball back to me to throw which I happily obliged.

"Jr dinner!" Nat calls from the door.
"Mkay I'll be right in just give me a sec." I head inside with Bear trotting along at my heels. Nat and Wanda had made dinner tonight but I wasn't in the mood to eat.
"Nat, Wanda, I hate to do this to you guys. I know you spent a long time prepping this meal for everyone but I'm feeling nauseous right now so I'm not that hungry." I lied. I mean it was believable, I've had concussions before and I lost my appetite every time.
"No problem Jr." Wanda says patting my shoulder. "Would you like to stay for dinner or go rest."
"I'm going to stay for dinner actually." I take a seat between Wanda and Pietro.
"How are you feeling princesa?" Pietro asks concerned.
"I'm okay Piet, just a little tired but I've had concussions before. I'll be fine."
"Jr sweetie would you like some ginger ale or maybe some toast." Pepper asks.
"No thanks Pepper I'm good really."
"Are you sure sweetie, I don't ever want you to go hungry. Please let me make you something."
"Pepper you're not my mom."
"I know I'm not but I will soon be your stepmother and-"
"PEPPER JUST LEAVE ME ALONE. YOURE NOT MY MOTHER AND YOU NEVER WILL BE!"
Everyone sat in complete silence due to shock. I quickly exited the kitchen and ran to my room. The quick movement caused my head to throb and the room to spin. I laid down on my bed staring at the ceiling tears slowly escaping my eyes.

"Miss Stark anyone you need me to contact?"
"NO. JARVIS."
"Would you like me to engage protocol #24?"
"Yes please." I whisper.
Protocol 24 was set up by my parents when I was real young. When they would be out on missions and I would wake up in the middle of the night or I just missed them extra that day Jarvis would play recordings of their voices. It always calmed me. After mum died dad added more recordings of her even though it'll never compare to her real voice.

"Hey Jr! It's mom, I'm calling because the mission was a success! It ended earlier than expected which means I'll be home by tonight. We can finally give Uncle Stevie a break. Have you been good for him? I hope you have, who am I kidding you're the best little girl ever of course you were good for Stevie. I miss you and I love you so so much baby. I'll see you in a few hours. Mwah."

I started crying harder at the sound of her voice. I squeezed my pillow wishing it was my mom. Jarvis played another clip.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Jr. happy birthday to you. We love you jr. happy birthday baby."

"I'm gonna get you! I'm gonna get you Jj."
"No mommy you can't catch me!"
"Gotcha."
"Mommy."
"Let's go get daddy now."
"Yeah!"

"Hey Jr. hey baby, I know it's really late right now and daddy and I aren't home but I need you to take nice deep breaths for me. Can you do that? Have Jarvis get Bucky. Momma and daddy are going to be home really soon okay. We love you so so much babygirl.  We'll be home soon precious."

"Okay Jr say mama."
"Noo say dada."
"Mama jr."
"No no say dada."
"Bu."
"No not Bu dada."
"Oh shut it Tony her first word is gonna be mama."
"Buty."
"Tony did she just say Bucky?"
"Buty Buty!"
"I think she did. Barnes, you asshole her first word was Bucky."
"Tony watch your mouth."
"I always knew I was her favorite guys."

"Tony grab the camera come quick."
"I'm busy."
"ANTHONY EDWARD STARK GET YOUR DAMN CAMERA NOW."
"I'm coming I'm coming."
"She's walking Tony, she's walking."
"My little girls walking. Look at you go. Come to dada."
"I love you jr." mom squeals.
"I love you more you little princess."
"No you don't."
"Oww don't hit me that's abuse."
"We love you jj."
"Mwah."

My face was now stained with tears and my eyes were red. The sleeves of my hoodie were soaked with my tears.
"Jr can I come in?" Bucky asks knocking on
my door.
"Mmhm."
"Hey doll." Bucky whispers sitting on the bed next to me. I lean into his shoulder as he wraps his arm around me. "I know you miss her, we all do."
"It's not fair Bucky."
"I know it's not."
"I miss her."
"I know doll, I know. Is there anything I can do for you?"
"I want mom."
"I know doll. I'm so so sorry." He says kissing my forehead. He cups my face and wipes my eyes with the sleeve of his shirt. He accidentally presses on the fresh staple causing me to jump slightly.

"I'm sorry are you okay? Did I hurt you?"
"I'm okay Bucky. Just tired."
"Okay."
Bucky pulled up a blanket covering me up to my shoulders. He made sure I had only the best pillows so I wouldn't hurt my head but his shoulder was more comfortable. He wrapped his arm around my back holding me close.
"Go to sleep doll." He said rubbing my back.
"I love you Bucky."
"Shhh. I love you more. Now get some sleep."