Chapter 21

"Bucky remember the time, when it was snowing and we were all outside, and Scott, stupid stupid Scott was dared by Sam to lick your metal arm. He said he'd do it if Sam did it to Mjölnier, and they did, and they were  both stuck to your arm and the hammer.  Scott just went for it and pulled back but Sam was crying like a little baby.  And then Steve tried to use hot water to fix it but it only froze his tongue more."

I looked over to see Bucky still sleeping, his chest rising and falling steadily. No sign of movement. A few stray tears fell but I quickly wiped them away.

"I remember that like it was yesterday." Steve murmurs from the doorway. He walked over and took a seat next to me.  "Bucky what about when you let Jr and I paint your metal arm. You loved that." He said shakily.

"Bucky remember the time I snuck out of the house when everyone was away on a mission except you and Steve.  And when I came back you dumped a huge bucket of ice water on me. And I was so cold I just stood there until you came out. And you looked so worried until I hugged you and soaked you too."

"Bucky do you remember when Jr used to hide all of our keys so we couldn't leave. And we used to ask her where they were and she sent us on a wild goose chase to find them."

"I had good hiding places." I laughed blinking back tears.

"Oh oh I remember in the 30s I was doing something stupid for a dare and I was gonna win my 20 dollars. And Bucky was off somewhere talking with a friend or whatever and I hear him go 'look at that idiot' and then I suddenly hear him yell 'shit that's my idiot!' I ended up with a black eye and a busted lip but I got my 20 dollars."

"I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out and I was soooo out of it. I started yelling that Alpine was a polar bear and that the fish in the tank were going to drown. Bucky was so worried but also simultaneously having the best time ever." I mumble.

Steve and I sat for hours recalling some of our best memories with Bucky but nothing woke him up. I was becoming more frustrated by the minute.

"Jr why don't you go take a breather."

I open my mouth to argue but Steve cuts me off. "Just please, we've been up here all day go get something to eat and drink please."

I slowly get up from the chair and grab a quick bite from the kitchen.  I head to my room to watch a movie but end up passing out.

——————————————————————————

"Buck cmon you gotta wake up. We promised, remember with each other," Steve choked up before he could finish it.

"Til the end of the line pal." Bucky muttered softly.

"Bucky, oh my god Bucky!" Steve shouted wrapping his arms around his best friend.

"Yeah yeah I'm here now watch it." Bucky joked with a raspy throat.

"How are you feeling Bucky?"
"I'm fine where's Jr?"
"Buck." Steve warned sternly.
"What? I told you I'm good where's Jr?"
Steve started to sneeze.
"Steve what's going on are you ok?!" Bucky asked frantically.
"M fine just allergic to bullshit." Steve joked punching Bucky in the shoulder. "Now how are you really?"

"Told ya Stevie I'm good."
Steve lightly placed his hand on top of Bucky's head causing him to flinch away. "So your head is still bothering you clearly." Steve said unamused.

"I'll take care of it later just tell me where Jr is."
"She's in her room I think but-" before Steve could even finish his response Bucky bolted out of bed. However his dizziness and headache soon caught up with him as he fell to the floor and a string of curses leaving his mouth.

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't just hear that." Steve mocks. "Now cmon I'm taking you to go see Bruce." Steve helped hoist Bucky onto his own two feet as Bucky wrapped an arm around his neck supporting himself.

"I missed you guys."
"I know Bucky, we missed you too."
"That I do know."
"How? Wait could you hear what we were saying?"
"Every word."