Chapter 11: "Scarecrow"

Sam wakes up and hears Dean's phone ring and tries to wake up Dean, but he's knocked out

Sam wakes up and hears Dean's phone ring and tries to wake up Dean, but he's knocked out. Sam removes his arm from Liz to answer it. Dean and Liz wake up. After the phone call they learn that couples go missing in different states. Sam's driving, Liz is in the middle with her head on Sam's shoulder and Dean is at the end reading through articles about the missing couples. Sam stops the car and Dean says, "What are you doing?" Sam says, "We're not going to Indiana." Liz says confused, "We're not?" Sam says, "No, we're going to California. Dad called us from a payphone-- Sacramento area code."Dean says, "Sam." The boys have an argument and Liz stay's out of it. Sam get's out of the car and get's his stuff out of the trunk. Sam says turns to Liz and says, "Let's go." Sam thinks that Liz will automatically come with him. Liz says, "Sam, I'm not going with you. I think you're not thinking straight." Sam angrily says, "Your gonna go with Dean, who you have been keeping a big secret from, which by the way Dean, it has something to do with the demon that killed mom." Liz glares at Sam for breaking his promise. Dean says, "What?" Liz turns to Dean and says, "I was gonna tell you. Thanks a lot Sam. Sam I don't think you should be going off to find your dad with pent up anger. I think that we should stay together and find him." Liz pleads with Sam. Sam angrily says, "You don't know how it feels like when you lose someone you love." Liz angrily, "Losing someone you love in front of you. Yeah I don't know what that feels like. You know what go find your dad. I hope you realize you can't find him without us." Liz then goes to the Impala and shut's the door angrily. Sam shuts his eyes and sighs at what he said to Liz about losing someone you love. Sam think's that he's the worst person ever. As Dean get's into the Impala, he see's Liz softly crying. Dean starts the Impala and drives to Indiana. On the way to Indiana Liz tells Dean the secret she hid from him. Dean says, "I get why you didn't tell me and I'm not mad. I probably would of done the same thing."  Liz nods her head. They arrive in Indiana, Liz watches Dean scroll through his phone to Sam and hovers his thumb over his name and contemplates. They get out of the car and Dean intertwines his hand with Liz's and Dean says, "Since couples go missing, let's pretend to be a couple, okay?" Liz squeezes his hand and softly says, "Okay." They start asking around for the missing couple, that went missing a year ago. While Dean is driving, the EMF is going crazy. Liz reaches in the back to grab the EMF. They walk into an apple orchard and see a creepy scarecrow. Dean says, "Dude, you fugly." Liz says, "Omg, that's the creepiest scarecrow ever. If that thing killed those people. I don't wanna be one of them." Liz shivers. Dean then walks up to the scarecrow to see that it has the same tattoo as the missing guy. Dean says, "I think you might be right Liz. We still have to find out what kind of spirit is attached." Liz nods. Dean get's the car gassed up by Emily and has a conversation with her. Dean turns to Liz and says, "Wanna go to that diner and go watch that couple?" Liz says, "No, you go ahead. I'm gonna go find some lore on that scarecrow." Dean nods and looks around to see out of the corner of his eye Emily's aunt and uncle looking at them. Dean thinks that since him and Liz are pretending to be a couple, he whispers to Liz, "Kiss me?" Liz looks up confused and says, "What? Why?" Dean says, "Remember we're playing as a couple, so if we want to look real, we have to do couple things. Plus, it would give the towns people a couple to take." Liz thinks it over and reluctantly says, "Okay. I really don't wanna be bait." Dean softly says, "I won't let anything happen to you." Liz smiles and reaches one arm up to Dean's nape and bring's his lips down to her's in a passionate kiss. Dean brings his hand to her waist  and gently brings her closer. Dean thinks that he doesn't want to stop kissing Liz. Liz gently pulls away to look up at Dean and softly smiles. Liz softly says, "I'll see you later." Dean bites his lip and nods. Later, Meg notices Sam looking a little down. Meg says, "So, what's up? It seems that not only your brother is bothering you." Sam says, "It's just that I said a pretty bad thing to my friend." Meg says, "He will get over it." Sam says, "She, actually." Meg frowns and says, "Girlfriend?" Sam laughs and instantly says, "No, Liz's my best friend." Meg says, "Well, what happened?" Sam then explains what happened and says, "I feel like the worst person ever. Her mom is a sensitive subject to talk about and the look on Liz's face when I said that broke my heart." Meg says, "I'm sure she'll forgive you, I mean you guy's are best friends." Sam nods and says, "I hope so."