Chapter 3: "Dead in the Water"

Liz arrived last night at the Lynnwood Inn

Liz arrived last night at the Lynnwood Inn. It's morning, Liz is looking at a case in a newspaper and Dean is checking out the waitress. The waitress smiles and says, "Can I get you anything else?" Dean grins at her, but the waitress only looked at Liz. Only Liz was trying to ignore her. Sam notices Liz discomfort and says, "Just the check please." The waitress frowns when the young woman was ignoring her and sadly says, "Okay." Dean says, "You, know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while. That's fun." Sam says, "Okay, but she wasn't interested in you. She's interested in Liz." Dean looks at Liz and sarcastically says, "Are you going to ask for her number?" Liz looks at Dean with no emotion and softly says, "No, you can have her." Sam and Dean notice something is wrong with Liz. Sam was about to say something, but Liz interrupted. Liz said, "Anyway, here take a look at this. I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin, Last week Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into a lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water, Nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of they other bodies were found, either. They had a funeral two days ago." Sam says, "A funeral?" Liz says, "They buried an empty coffin for closure or whatever." Sam says, "Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Liz. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam says the last part to Dean. Dean says, "Something you want to say to me?" Sam says, "The trail for dad, it's getting colder everyday." Dean says, "What are we supposed to do?" Sam says, "I don't know." Liz says, "We keep doing cases until he shows up to one of them." Dean nods head and likes the idea. Liz says, "You guys drop me off at Will Carlton's house and you guys talk with the sheriff, okay?" Sam says, "Okay." Dean drops Liz off. Liz knocks on the door and says, "Will Carlton?" Will says, "Yeah, that's right." Liz says, "I'm Agent Fisher. I'm with U.S. Wildlife Service." Will shows Liz where his sister disappeared. Will says, "She was about 100 yards out. She got dragged down." Liz says, "Are you sure she didn't drown?" Will says, "Yeah, she was a varsity swimmer. She practically grew up in that lake. She's as safe out there as in her own bathtub." Liz says, "So no splashing, no signs of distress?" Will says, "No, that's what I'm telling you." Liz says, "Did you see any shadows in the water, maybe some dark shape breach the surface?" Will says, "No, again, she was really far out there." Liz says, "You ever seen any strange tracks by the shoreline?" Will says, "No, never why? What do you think's out there?" Liz says, "I'll let you know as soon as I know. What about your father? Can I talk to him? Will says, "Look, if you don't mind, I mean, he didn't see anything, and he's kind of been through a lot." Liz says, "I understand. Thank you." Will nods his head. Liz calls Dean and told him everything Will said. Dean says, "Meet is at Lakepoint hotel." Liz says, "Okay." Liz arrives at the hotel and Dean opens the door for her. Sam is on his laptop and says, "Hey Liz. So, there's the three drowning victims this year." Liz says, "And before that?" Sam says, "Yeah, six more, spread out over the past 35 years. Those bodies were never recovered, either." Liz says, "If there is something out there, it's picking up it's pace." Dean says, "So we got a lake monster on a binge?" Liz says, "This whole lake monster theory, it just bugs me." Dean says, "Why?" Liz says, "Lochness Lake, Champlain, there are literally hundreds of eye witness accounts, but here almost nothing. Whatever is out there, No one's living to talk about it." Their talking about Christopher Bar and Liz says, "Maybe we have an eyewitness after all. Dean looks at Liz sadly and says, "Watching one of your parents die, is something that doesn't go away." Liz looks at Dean and weakly smiles.