CHAPTER 3- The Silent Lioness

Start from the beginning

In the morning Veena woke me up early in the morning and helped me to change into a beautiful Saree for my first day at the Roy Mansion. My mind thought 'A brand-new place with brand-new people, Let's see where this journey takes me.' I huffed at this thought and entered the mansion to find Meenakshi aunty sitting on the sofa. She came toward me and I took her blessings but she told me to hug her like a daughter and I nodded happily.

"You look beautiful Riya beta (child) and I must say I have found a gem for my son," she said in an extremely sweet tone.

I thanked her. Then other members arrived, and I greeted them one by one.

Meenakshi aunty came to me and asked "Riya, do you know how to cook?"

After I shook my head in agreement, she announced that today my Pehli Rasoi (Where the new bride cooks for the first time for her in-laws) would take place. She took me to the kitchen and guided me with all the utensils and ingredients, followed by Suwarna Aunty. I was asked to make a sweet dish so I made Suji ka halwa (Indian Sweet dish)  and pancakes. That's a strange match, but I like to cook a variety of dishes. Then the maids placed the sweet dishes on the table and everyone started settling around the dining table.

Everybody started waiting for Siddarth to come down to have his breakfast. About five minutes later I saw a dashing man in a black suit descending the stairs all dressed up to go to his office. I ogled at him openly and as he saw me, I turned away from him and stared at the other side of the room. 'Devilishly handsome!' was all my mind could say, but I ignored it. Everybody tasted the food and I could hear everyone praising "It's yummy, I loved it, I want to have some more" and a smile adorned my lips.

He tasted it and said "Mom this is the most delicious Halwa I have ever tasted. I want to have it every Sunday as it's the only day I skip my dieting plans." My happiness increased with his comment.

Mom told him that I had made this food and he suddenly looked at me and said " Okay, the Halwa is alright, not bad."

I thought 'He is such a jerk. As he got to know that the food was made by me, the food changed from delicious to good.' Then suddenly the twins who stopped me yesterday came and started a new drama.

"I heard you slept in the servants' outhouse last night" a girl taunted me.

"It's good that you know where you belong. This just shows that you don't deserve my brother and this family," said her twin who was supporting her sister. My anger levels started increasing but I didn't let my smile fade away. I didn't want to lose patience as these people are my new family.

"Did you marry our brother for a business deal? How can you stoop so low? You are such a cheap girl" the first one said, making a disgusting face. My mind prompted me to give them an earful so that they don't dare speak with me in that tone. However, I controlled myself and listened to them without uttering a word.

"Shut up Diya...don't forget you are talking to your Bhabhi. She is my wife now, so don't make the same mistake again." Siddarth interrupted, shocking everyone.

I was extremely shocked that the man who was hurling the same accusation around me yesterday is stopping his sister from disrespecting me. This is the inside stranger and outside wife game that he is playing with me. That is the only thought that settled all the dilemmas in my head. As this drama ended I walked out to the lawn to calm the angry horses racing in my mind.

I inhaled the cool breeze and slowly exhaled it and then as expected Veena entered the lawn and said,

"Who are you? Where is the girl I know?" she asked me rudely.

"What do you mean Veena? What happened?" I asked her, unable to understand her question.

"I know a girl named Riya who is polite but too bold for anyone to even look into her eyes with wrong intentions. I know the girl who never heard a word against her silently and today I couldn't see that girl in you. You are the boldest girl I have ever met. So where is that girl? I can't find her in you after you quietly listened to all that rubbish the girls were speaking."

Now I understood the reason behind her anger so I turned to her and said

"Calm down Veena, I was quiet because the girls forgot their manners but I remembered mine."

She calmed a bit but wasn't convinced and we heard a knock on the glass partition of the lawn.

"Can I talk to Riya alone for a while?" Siddarth asked glaring at us.

He entered the lawn after Veena left us alone.

"Silent lioness," he said as he walked toward me.

I looked at him amused as I couldn't understand what he was saying.

"The fashion industry calls you by the name of the silent lioness. Right?" he said in a tone that was not at all questioning but serious.

"Did the lioness turn into a cat when my sisters insulted her?" he asked, and the tinge of anger which I had successfully overcome started to take form again as I heard him. I know when to talk and when to keep quiet so I thought of giving this jerk a chance to speak his mind out.

"Businessmen are afraid to even speak a word against you as they know if this lioness comes into the form she will destroy them. Where did this lioness disappear a few minutes ago?"

I was shocked by his question but I found the most appropriate answer and said "A lioness remains a lioness forever but it's her choice when to roar." 

______________________________________________________________________

Why was the lioness quiet?....Is she a very shy and traditional girl?...Is the title given to her wrong?....Why did Siddarth support her?...

Too many questions, vote and comment to get the answers and do share your views. Why is she bearing all this? Many of you would have guessed the reason so share it with me through your comments.

Thankyou to all my readers. I believe that an author can improve only when the readers share their views so I would like to hear from you about the book. All my silent readers, vote and comment to appreciate me or point out my mistakes. Want an early update? No worries just drop a comment.

~~~~PRIYA7755