Our Lady

"Mama!" Gee called striding into her house, Mikey trailing behind him.

He swung the car keys carelessly around his index finger, cruising through the space. He noticed a few things were out of place. Tables up-turned as if a robbery had happened. Him and Mikey shared a worried look then began walking more frantically about the house.

"MA?" Gerard shouted as loud as he could.

"Gerard." Mikey hissed motioning to the up-turned sofa.

Both of the boys walked cautiously towards it and peeked round the end. Their Mum was there back up against the sofa curled in a ball and sobbing quietly.

"Mum Mum what's wrong?" Mikey asked softly shuffling urgently next to his Mother. Gerard followed suit. She looked up at her two sons but couldn't manage any words. Gerard pushed her blonde hair away from her face and gently lead his head on her shoulder while Mikey rubbed circles on her back.

"They came and they...they took everything." She finally chocked out.

"Who did?" Gerard asked anger in his voice. Who the hell in their right mind would rob this woman?!

"The bay lifts." She cried bringing her hand up to her forehead. She like Gerard was an attention seeking whore.

"What do you mean bay lifts?" Mikey asked looking at his Mother quizzically. "You have lots of money why would they come...I don't understand." Mikey whispered.

"I haven't been doing so well lately. With your Dad gone I have less money and well their going to kick me out soon I know it!" She howled.

"Why didn't you tell us Mama??" Gerard asked cupping her face. "How could you let it come to this??"

"I just...I didn't want to worry you."

"You are so dumb!" Mikey exclaimed bringing both his Mother and Gerard into a hug. "Do you know that Mum? You're so dumb!" He continued but he was smiling at his Mum's cuteness.

Gerard got up and said to his Mum. "Stand up fucking tall." And she and Mikey did so. "Don't let them see your back."

He then laced her icy fingers with his and smiled. "And take my fucking hand."

He then led the way out of the house locking it up with them all following. He turned abruptly and pulled his Mum into a warm hug. He brushed her hair aside and whispered in her ear. "And never be afraid again."