Part 8 - Getting Ready

George took a step back. "I have to leave today? I-- I thought I had weeks!" Sir Diamond spared him a sympathetic look but did not waste much time with words.

"I'm sorry, son. We don't have much time." He turned to Dream. "Clay, son, are you ready to take lives if you need to?" Dream had a shadowed look on his face, his expression guarded.

"I will do whatever I need to protect George, Sir," he said curtly.

"Are you prepared to lose your life protecting him if need be?" George's stomach dropped.

"What?" he asked quietly, but Dream barely reacted, merely looking down at the floor.

"As I said, Sir, I will do whatever I have to." Sir Diamond nodded.

"Good. You've trained well for this, son." He patted his shoulders, but before he could step away, George's mother stood between him and the door.

"No! I won't have this, they can't kill my son over some stupid prophecy! He will not be going, and that is final!" Sir Diamond raised his hands defensively.

"Ms. Davidson, please--"

"No!" She stepped away from the door and opened it. "Leave my house. Now." Sir Diamond didn't move, looking between the door and all 3 of them. George's heart was pounding- this was all so sudden.

George walked up to his mother and took her hand in his. "Mum, please," he said softly. "If I stay it'll just be more dangerous for the both of us." Her harsh gaze faltered and she turned to gaze at her son. "Please. I'll be safe, I promise. I'll write to you. I'll be back before you know it." She let out a shaky breath and pulled him into a tight hug. He returned the hug, rubbing small circles into her back. "It'll be okay."

"My boy," she said, her voice shaking. She pulled away and cupped his face, her eyes brimmed with tears. "My darling son... Please, stay safe." He felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped slightly, but relaxed when he realized it was Dream.

"I'll protect him, miss. He'll come home safe and sound." She sniffed and smiled as a tear dripped down her face.

"He damn well better," she said, tone lighthearted but her voice breaking with tears. He smiled at her and dropped his hand. She wiped her eyes and sniffed, then let out a slow sigh. "...Fine. But if that boy gets hurt, so help me gods..." Sir Diamond nodded solemnly.

"I understand, ma'am. I'm sorry it has to be this way." He turned to Dream and George. "You two get ready, grab anything you'll want with you. We have a carriage full of clothing, food, and supplies waiting at the back gates." They both nodded and George headed to his room.

Before Dream could enter he shut his door. "Getting dressed," he said before Dream could ask.

"Got it." Dream rested his back against the door. "I can't believe we're leaving already."

"Me either," George replied as he pulled on an undershirt.

"I'm sorry." George paused for a moment, confused.

"Why are you sorry?" he asked, pulling on a different pair of pants. Dream let out a soft sigh.

"I don't know. I feel like this is all happening so fast. It's a lot of stress on you, I mean- these people want to kill you." George paused for a while, not saying anything as he continued getting dressed.

George grabbed the necklace and put it on, then opened the door. Dream quickly turned to face him. He looked up and made eye contact with him. "Dream, it's a lot of pressure on you, too. This isn't just about me." Dream was the one to break eye contact, seemingly shy at the idea that he was being prioritized. George smiled at him.

"Who's the shy one now?" Dream cracked a smile and rolled his eyes, returning his gaze.

"Shut up," he said, his voice light. Their voices dissolved into giggles for a moment, until George patted his shoulder.

"Listen, it'll be okay. We'll be home in a few months. Everything will be fine." Dream nodded.

"Yeah." They both jumped as they heard the town bell donging loudly— the King rang the bell to arrange meetings. "But we won't if we don't get going, fast." George nodded.

They both put on their shoes, and Dream left his coat on the rack. George tried maintaining an interesting, foreign mindset regarding his journey. He was trying to metaphorically outrun his anxiety, replacing it with excitement and hope.