Part 4 - Home

At first, Jack, Wilbur, and George's plan was to go to a few stores and head to the park. However, they ended up going to the store then sitting and talking by the lake until it was dark outside. Cicadas were buzzing and fireflies floated about. The warm night air and soft lights from street lamps eased their minds. The comforting scents of petrichor and flowers drifted through the breeze, and George made a mental note to close the windows before bed.

George perked up as the town clock's bells rang. It was 10 o'clock. "Well, boys, it's been great hanging out with you, but I think I'm gonna have to call it a night," George said, standing up and stretching. Wilbur patted his back.

"Get some rest, alright?" George smiled and nodded, then let out an oof as Jack pulled him into a tight hug.

"Stay safe on your way home! And say hi to your mum for me." George patted his back and pulled away.

"Okay, I will." He waved them off and began heading home, his bag of groceries-- which were now warm-- in hand. Niki was kind as usual and gave him three cinnamon rolls free of charge- one cinnamon roll for each friend.

Wilbur had kept his promise and bought him something-- a necklace, a sapphire stone attached to a long string. Wilbur had said it was something to remember him by on his journey. George and Jack teased him for being too sentimental, but he still thanked him for the gift. It was a good necklace.

On the way home, George pet a stray cat. The cat followed him for a couple of blocks, then went back to where he slept. George had seen that cat in his neighborhood for the past few years. He was a friendly cat, and he never complained about George stopping to pet him. George liked to call him Luca.

Once his house came into sight and he saw that the lights were still on, he picked up his speed and stumbled onto the porch. He opened the door and stepped inside. "Mum?" George rested eyes on his mother, who was putting dishes away.

"There you are, son. I was getting worried!" She walked up to him and hugged him. When she felt the stone press against her chest she pulled away. "What's this, then?" She held it up and inspected it curiously.

"Wilbur got it for me as a souvenir of sorts. So I'd remember him on my journey— as if I wouldn't have already." His mother smiled and tucked it back into his shirt.

"That's very nice of him. He's a good friend." George smiled and slipped off his shoes.

"Yeah, he really is." He handed her the cinnamon roll. "Here, Niki gave me this, but I wasn't hungry. You can have it."

"Aww, such a sweet girl! I'll have it tomorrow." She walked into the kitchen and put it in the refrigerator.

George followed her into the kitchen. "Oh, and Jack says hi." His mother chuckled fondly.

"What a nice boy, I'm glad he bothered to say hello. I do hope he's doing alright in college, is he?"

George carried the bag of groceries to the table and set them down. "Yeah, he's fine. He and Wil are helping each other out with studying and they're making B's and A's." His mother approached him and took out the milk and eggs.

"I'm glad to hear that. Oh!" She snapped her fingers, seeming to remember something. "I almost forgot-- what happened in your meeting with Sir Halo?"

"Oh." George put the bread away. "He introduced me to someone. My knight, I guess. He's going to protect me on my journey to the mountain."

"Well, that's interesting! You don't sound too excited, though. Did something go wrong?" George shook his head, shutting the pantry door.

"No, it went fine, he just... I don't know. He seems annoying." His mother furrowed her eyebrows.

"You're not being judgy, are you?" she asked with a warning tone.

"No, I'm not. I promise. He's just really arrogant and overconfident for some reason." His mother chuckled.

"Do you think he's a Leo?" George rolled his eyes affectionately-- his mother had an interest in astrology and often made jokes about it.

"I don't know, mum, why don't you ask him?"

"Maybe I will if I ever meet him. Seems like a good icebreaker. 'Hey, you're going to protect my son on his big journey, eh? He tells me you're a bit full of yourself, are you a Leo?'" George chuckled as he set the fruits in their fruit bowl.

"Sounds like that conversation will go well," he said sarcastically. His mother laughed, then began to yawn.

"I think you should give him a break, though. Get to know him better, don't judge a book by its cover and all, yeah?" George shrugged.

"Alright. I'll trust you on that." She smiled at him, then kissed the top of his head.

"I think it's time for me to go to bed. Don't stay up too late, alright? You've got studying to do tomorrow." George groaned.

"Ugh, I forgot it was Sunday." He shut the refrigerator. "Thanks for reminding me, I have a big test coming up."

"Anytime, son." She kissed his forehead and rubbed a hand through his hair. "I'll see you in the morning, yeah?"

George nodded. "Yeah, see you then, mum." She glanced at him once more before heading to her room and shutting the door. He let out a soft sigh, then relaxed as he heard the soft rumbling of distant thunder.

George often felt comforted by thunderstorms. He used to be terrified of them. However, after his mother assured him they couldn't hurt him when he was in most places, he grew to love the sounds and smells of them.

George shut the windows in his house as the rain fell, the soft pitter-patter of the raindrops calming him more. He just hoped Wilbur and Jack were home and dry.

George put the cloth grocery bag away and went to his room. He didn't feel very tired, so he decided to read a bit in hopes of avoiding insomnia. He turned on his lamp and put on some sleep clothes. Then, he picked up one of his favorite books and curled up under the bedsheets.

After a few chapters, George's eyes began closing on their own. He let himself fall asleep, resting the book on his chest as the storm rolled overhead.