Part 3 - Jack and Wilbur

George started heading to Jack and Wilbur's house. Jack Manifold and Wilbur Soot were George's childhood best friends. He grew up with them and often saw them because their parents were so close with his mother. Now they lived together as roommates because they were going to college and thought it would be better to split the bills.

Once he approached the house he saw they were already outside. They were sitting together at the table on their porch, eating their lunch. "Gogy, my man! How are you?" Jack asked warmly, waving to him.

Wilbur spared him a glance and a smile. "Hey, Gogs." George huffed a small laugh and smiled.

"You guys really won't let that nickname go, will you?" George asked lightheartedly as he sat at a free chair next to Wilbur.

"Nope! It really stuck, with your name starting with a G and all-- why did you wear goggles to school so much anyway?" George rolled his eyes and scoffed as Jack snorted with laughter, Wilbur quietly huffing with amusement as he chewed his sandwich.

"Look, it was primary school, I didn't know it would look dumb," he replied, waving his hand dismissively. Wilbur adjusted his beanie and cleared his throat.

"So." Jack and George turned to face him. "What did Sir Halo want to speak with you about?"

George shrugged. "Oh, nothing, he just introduced me to my... knight, I guess? It sounds silly saying it out loud." Wilbur merely raised his eyebrows and Jack cocked his head, his face twisted with confusion.

"A knight? Gogs, that's definitely not nothing. What's he like?" Wilbur nodded toward Jack.

"I agree, being assigned a knight is... certainly not what I'd consider insignificant."

George shrugged. "I don't know, I just try not to think about the whole journey, I guess. It's a lot to take in." He wrinkled his nose a bit. "And, I don't really like him. He seems so arrogant and overly energetic." Jack and Wilbur exchanged an amused look. "What?"

"Gogs, we know you don't like new people, but that seems a bit too judgy." Wilbur nodded in agreement.

"No- no, you don't understand, guys," George insisted, but Wilbur leaned forward to interject.

"Are you sure this isn't the tutor incident all over again?" George rolled his eyes while Jack laughed heartily.

"My gods- would you quit bringing that up already?"

"Not a chance, it's hilarious!" Jack mumbled around a mouthful of food. At least he's honest, George thought, squinting at him. "You got points off because you spent the whole session reading, then you complained to us about how annoying and unfair he was!"

George groaned and rubbed his eyes. "Yes, Jack, I remember. Look, I was fourteen, okay? I've grown now. And really- I have valid reasons for my judgment this time."

Jack leaned back in his chair. "We'll be the judges of that. Go on then, tell us about this knight boy."

"Well, first of all, he interrupted Sir Halo mid-sentence. It wasn't even over anything important, it was just some stupid nickname he wanted to be called by!" Jack raised his eyebrows and exchanged a 'yikes' look with Wilbur, which spurred George on a bit. "Besides, his nickname was Dream. Like, really? It could have been a coincidence, but that's so irritating!"

Wilbur chuckled. "To be fair, that's not necessarily something he did wrong. That could have been a nickname he's had his whole life." George shook his head.

"No, no, I'm not finished," he began. "He wouldn't stop talking after Sir Halo sent us on some assignment to- bond, I guess? And he straight up invited himself to my house and left before I could say no!" Wilbur chewed his food for a bit, seemingly deep in thought. He swallowed and hummed once.

"Wow. He seems like an interesting person, I'll give him that." George let out an offended scoff.

"Interesting?! He's arrogant and full of himself and- and he's so confident for no reason-!"

"George." Wilbur cut him off, resting a hand on his shoulder. "Calm down. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to keep an open mind-- which I think you should try sometime," he added gently. "I think you're judging him a little too harshly, after having known him for a few minutes. Don't you think so?" he asked, turning to Jack, then back to George.

"Mhm," Jack replied, swallowing his food and nodding thoughtfully. George sighed and shrugged off his hand.

"I guess so. But don't expect me to like him, okay?" Jack wiped his mouth with a napkin and tossed it onto his plate.

"Y'know what I think?" Jack asked George.

"What."

"I think you do like him," he teased. George gagged.

"Eugh, what? You're ridiculous!" Jack cackled.

"No, no, hear me out!" He waved his hands as he spoke, as if trying to prove his point, yet his voice was light with amusement. "When girls in primary school liked boys they'd pretend to hate them, and you seem pretty livid about this boy you've only just met. It's a fair assumption!"

George let out a heavy sigh. "Jack, I'm going to need you to shut up-- you're so stupid," George said, rolling his eyes and shoving his arm. "I do not like Dream in any way. He's so annoying."

Wilbur had a wide smirk on his face. "No, no, I think Jack has a point here. Don't worry, George, your secret is safe with us. The priest will never find out."

George was trying his best not to laugh. "Oh my god. This is so stupid, I'm going home." He got out of his chair, but Jack leapt to his feet.

"What, no! We were gonna head to the park and get some stuff from the store, don't you want to come and hang with us?" George looked between the two of them, lips pressed together. Wilbur stood and took a small bag of coins from his pocket, then shook it with a slight smile on his face.

"I'll buy you something." George sighed, comedically exaggerating his frustration.

"...Fine." Jack whooped and slapped George's back a little too hard, causing the smaller man to grunt.

"Yeah, let's go!"

And so they went, the midday sunlight warming their backs as they walked through the familiar streets of Rosewood Kingdom once more.