Chapter 40

"Frost." The blonde woman reached out her hand, waiting for it to be shaken.

"Lora." The brunette took it and gave her a hefty shake. "Please to meet you all."

She packed enough for a few days and pulled out her personal savings. She was lucky that her parents were out of town for their yearly vacation and of course they don't take them with her. When she was old enough to take care of herself at the ripe old age of 8 they would leave her by herself for a vacation.

Shit parents in a shit town with a shit life.

"Let's move!" Weaver was ready to get out of here. She got one too many weird looks while she was getting gas and wants to take a shower. A long shower. In bleach.

"Where are we going?" Lora shifted awkwardly in her seat, trying to get comfortable in what felt like a kidnappers van. Golem didn't frighten her as much as he made her uncomfortable. It wasn't that he was creepy, it was just that he was so large that she had to squeeze in between Frost and Link and all their new supplies.

"Los Paraiso," Whisper got seated and wiped her hands on what was once a white towel that was now covered in dirt and sweat. She finished fixing the rearview light and did a bit of work on the engine for good measure.

"Really?!" Lora's voice almost cracked from the excitement. The college she wanted to go to was at Los Paraiso. But of course she couldn't afford it and wasn't good enough on the track team - or any sports team - to get a scholarship. Not that scouts come to insignificant towns like this one.

"We aren't going to be sight seeing." Whisper was quick to stifle her hopes, "We're going to be going to get a key."

"I need someone to fill me in," Lora looked around to see everyone just staring back at her, "Who are you guys and what can you do?"

"I'm Spring!" He was quick to respond, just appreciating another person his age that wasn't Frost. "I can make any plant I want bloom from my skin."

"I'm Link, nice to meet you," Link smiled kindly, like an older sister would, "I can connect people's minds in a psychic link of sorts."

"I can change anything I touch into ice." Frost picked up a piece of trash and froze it, crumbling it within seconds. "He's Golem and can turn himself into pure, unbreakable, stone."

"You all have very appropriate names," Lora wanted to ask why but she could sense that it was a heavy topic to bring up.

"I'm Weaver!" Weaver shouted from the front going full GTFO of the town, "I can turn anything into wool."

"So what can you do?" Link asked, genuinely curious. It was still unsure whether or not it's rude to ask what one's gift is, kind of like how it's a bit awkward to phrase the classic 'where are you from' question.

"Uhh my blood," Lora had no idea how to explain it. She rehearsed explaining her 'gift' over and over again in her head but now she's just drawing blanks. "It - uh - It catches fire."

"Oh." Frost was a bit confused, but as Lora didn't spontaneously combust so she wasn't too worried.

They just began chatting among themselves. Favorite foods, favorite colors, random stories from childhood.

It was so funny to hear how Spring accidentally shat his pants while at school when he was 5 years old. And even funnier then Frost apparently broke her arm trying to do a flip off a 5 foot drop.

Link once drank an entire gallon of milk in one sitting and threw up all over her mother's new carpet when she was 4. Weaver had a similar story except it was with homemade moonshine and she was 18.