Chapter 11

"I live about another hour away." 

They finally hit civilization, a small town that Mateo always passes through on the way to the facility from the city.

"Are you hungry?" Mateo pulled into a nearby gas station, hopping out and walking around to open the door for her. Taking off his vest

Nodding she went to step on the hot black pavement with her raw-bare feet before Mateo noticed the state of her feet and quickly pushed her back to a sitting position. 

"Sit tight, I'll grab you something." 

Nodding again she watched him walk into the store, letting her legs dangle out of the doorway, swinging them innocently. It's been a while since she seen a convenience store, it's been even longer since she seen strangers. 

The facility hardly switched around the employees. 

Chills ran down her spine suddenly. Turning a bit she saw a middle-aged man with a messy beard and a heavy beer belly. He wore a cap, a flannel, and an ill-fitting white shirt, or at least it used to be a white shirt. 

He was staring right at Clarise, and when she spun around he lifted up his sunglasses, winking at her before putting them back on. Clarise had never experienced something like this before, and she felt gross inside. 

Pulling the hood over her head, she curled up her legs into a fetal position, wrapping the hoodie around her legs, like Mateo's hoodie could shield her from that man's slimy gaze. 

Why is he staring at me? 

He's day dreaming about pulling my hair. 

Why would he want to pull my hair? 

Because he thinks that will make me more submissive. 

She was no longer hungry, instead she felt like she wanted to puke. 

When is Mateo coming back? 

In 4 more minutes. 

That was 4 minutes too long. So many things could happen in 4 minutes. In 4 minutes Project Magma had melted through his cell and took out 5 guards. In 4 minutes Project Golem and Project Raptor tore through a room of doctors and businessmen. 

"Hey you alright?" 

Mateo was leaning down to get into her eye-line. "Are you sick? Do you feel okay?" 

I'm fine. 

He had brought back packages of food and bandages. Taking note of her form, he gently tugged on her foot, signaling for her to let him treat her wounds.  

"This might sting a little," he had an alcohol wipe, opening it up and tapping at her scrapes. She stared straight at him, not even wincing. The hours in the lab hurt more than this. "Got to get you some shoes." 

By the time he was finished, both of Clarise's feet were nicely wrapped up. The scrapes on her knees also patched up after Mateo awkwardly rolled up her pants' legs and even more awkwardly rolled them back down. 

"Here," he handed her one of the packages, "it's a ham sandwich." 

She just held onto the package, turning it around and just pushed at the top of it. Gripping it and pawing at it like a curious cat. Her appetite was returning and the facility's food was less than appetizing. 

How do I open it? 

Rip off the tab at the front and pull on one of the textured corners. 

Finally breaking into the box, she pulled out the sandwich. The bread felt so squishy and it smelled sorta fresh. The lettuce of the sandwich was slightly wilted, but that didn't stop Clarise from taking a bite. Her teeth satisfyingly breaking through the soft bread, crisp lettuce, slimly cheese, and firm ham. 

It's been so long since Clarise had something like this. So simple but satisfying. 

"Good?" Mateo held back his laughter as he basically watched her inhale the whole thing, "Here, it's apple juice." He had already opened it for her and held it out for her to take. 

He didn't know much about her diet in the facility, but they seemed to give her bland and boring versions of normal dishes. He's never seen a beige pizza before and it gave him the chills. 

"You ready to hit the road?" 

Finishing off the juice, she smiled in satisfaction. 

Let's go. 

She found herself looking over at that man again who was scowling at her. Probably watching the pair the whole time, disappointed that Mateo had returned so soon. Mateo had followed her eyeline to him as well, waving politely only to get flicked off. 

"Friendly locals, huh?" He scoffed. He could assume why he caught Clarise's attention, and why she caught his. Men like that like to instill paranoia, like harassing a young lady like Clarise would give them some sense of superiority. Despicable man. "We won't see him ever again, don't worry." 

His words were incredibly comforting, and just having Mateo beside her made her feel safe. She wasn't alone, and that's more than she could ask for. 

Getting back into the driver's seat, Mateo buckled in, waiting for Clarise to buckle before pulling out of the parking lot. His phone rang just as he exited onto the highway, answering it on Bluetooth.

"Hello?" 

There was a loud crash in the background before someone responded, "Mateo! You're still alive, thank god." 

"Harrison? Yeah, I'm fine. What's up?" Glancing at Clarise, his stomach churned with unease. 

"It's the Project still with you?" Sudden shouting in the background, Harrison yelling at someone to watch out. 

"Harrison? What's going on?!" 

"All the Projects have escaped, 2 of our vehicles have been stolen and the building is destroyed," Harrison's breathing got heavy, like he was running, "Your Project is basically the only one left." 

"Oh damn, what should I do then?" 

"Find a safe place to huddle down, we'll figure stuff out tomorrow after we figure out our losses." Harrison huffed, "And remember Mateo, all the Projects are dangerous no matter who, be cautious as you handle her. We can't send backup nor an escort so you're on your own until at least tomorrow." 

"Got it." 

"We'll contact you tomorrow, until then stay safe." 

"You got it, thanks." 

Harrison hung up, leaving the pair in silence. An awkward silence. 

Clarise was basically harmless, what danger could she possibly pose? 

The Projects at Facility 0601 realize you are missing after raiding the records room, after they invade Facility 2290 they are going to come after you. 

Oh. So that's the danger.