Chapter Fifteen - A Choice

"Noah! Have you gotten what you needed?" Valerie's innocent voice called from the other room. "I suggest taking enough for a month, if you need I can offer you a few side gigs for cash!" Her voice came closer to the main floor of the shop. Closer to the man who practically killed his best friend.

Allister, curled into a fetus position, held his stomach in unbearable pain. His groans and pleads for help were only heard by the crazed psychopath who inflicted this torture onto him. Noah's stare burned into Allister's body for a while longer, before turning his head, painting a sick smile on his lips.

"I can't thank you enough, Valerie." He walked slowly towards the doorway she escaped through, stepping on Allister's body in the process. He threw some items he thought he needed into a small basket he plucked off a counter as he walked. Breads, jars, knives, ointments, anything to make him look like a normal grieving man in need of the basics to survive his sadness. His sick smile morphed to a pitiful expression of gratitude as he approached.

"Oh it's really nothing." She waved him off as he poked his head through the door to a supply area filled with books and notes kept on the inventory. She organized the notebooks one more time before turning to fully face Noah, smiling. "Do you have everything you need?" She asked again, assessing his basket as they walked to the checking counter out of habit.

"Yes, Valerie, thank you." He tries to show as much gratitude as a broken man can. A man who can no longer feel a thing.

Although, he did feel something. A twinge of remorse for the only person who never felt pity or hatred for the man who deserved nothing but both of those despicable feelings.

The person he left in agonizing pain on the floor of the only woman who had no idea the crimes he's commit.

Or so he thought.

Noah played the act of a distressed and forgetful grieving man. He face palmed himself, as if remembering he forgot one of his favorite items.

"Forgive me, Valerie. I've forgotten something." He looks at her, smiling sheepishly. "I'm sorry for keeping your shop closed for so long, but if I could just grab it, I'll be out of your hair."

Valerie chuckles, nodding her head knowingly. "Of course, hun. Take your time." She organizes his basket as he looks for the "item" he so desperately needs.

He walks calmly until he's out of sight, then panic sets in as his expression collapses from the carefully constructed one he mastered moments before.

"Allister!" He shouts in a hushed tone, trying to keep his panic at bay. He looks to where the crime originally happened, and only a bloodstain free floor meets his eyes. He swears under his breath, desperate now.

"Allister!" He whisper-shouts again. "Allister! Where are you?"

"Noey?" A helpless voice is the only thing heard in the silence. Along with the pounding of Noah's heart in his ears.

"Allister?" Noah searches, but the voice didn't come from anywhere near where the crime happened.

"Noey." He calls again, coughing. It rings throughout the shop, but Noah can pinpoint the origin. But it isn't near him.

It's back where he and Valerie were speaking like old friends.

Noah spins around, cautious, aware, ready. Panicking. He looks to where Valerie stood, to be met with a scene not even he can understand.

Valerie stands next to wounded Allister, his body splayed across the payment counter, his wounds being treated and wrapped. She tends to him carefully, motherly, running her hands through his hair telling him everything will be alright. He looks to Noah, a look of anger, confusion, and pure pain creates a masterpiece of emotion on his busted face.

The only emotion Noah can feel is guilt. It consumes his being, his mind, his soul, and his ability to rationally think.

As if the gods above were watching him, a familiar vial appears in front of him on a separate counter from the one Allister was on. An oh so familiar fate being taunted right in front of him. He takes a step towards it, the need for toxic comfort overriding his motor function.

Allister takes one more desperate, pleading look at him, before turning his head to stare at the ceiling; tears threatening to escape.

It's almost enough to keep him in reality.

Almost.