Chapter Seven - Dearest Ashlynn and Annoying Allister

"Psst, Noey, you're being kinda obvious when you stare that long." Allister chuckled as they walked, shoving him into the brush and out of his daydreams. Noah looked to his friend as he regained his footing on the sidewalk of his academy.

"Goodness, Allister, I invite you to experience campus life and this is how you repay me?" Noah rubs his shoulder jokingly, trying to obscure his goofish smile.

"Well it's my sworn duty to tell you when you're acting like a creep." Allister said, reading his friend for a moment before looking to where his eyes were locked just moments ago.

Ashlynn, along with some other friends, sat under one of the few larger trees on campus. Her face was lit up with passion as she spoke on and on about a book she was holding. Her friends joined her enthusiasm, the conversation switching to fake arguing about a character or a plot detail. No wonder he can't stop staring, Allister thought as he turned back to his friend who was, yet again, lost in the sight. If she wasn't sitting thirty feet away, he would've punched his lovesick friend. Right now, his other sworn duty was to be the wingman for his hopeless romantic, terrible with woman friend.

He elbowed Noah, pointing to the library nearby. "Hey, let's get the books you need for this semester's assignments. I don't want to distract you too much."

Noah shook out of his entrapment and nodded, leading them into his second favorite place on campus. He reached the shelves which held what he needed, Allister trailing behind to steal one last glance of the scene. Noah started pulling out book after book and handing them off to his best friend and personal backpack. When they got to the seventh novel, Allister interrupted Noah's book-mumbles.

"Y'know, you should just try talking to her." He looked out one of the huge windows to see her with a few less people around. Her face was still alight as she read something which he knew Noah has read before.

"Allister." His flustered friend spoke in his sternest dad tone.

"Don't 'Allister' me, I'm serious. You've been in love with her since childhood, and from what I've witnessed, you've never spoken to her!" His voice rose as a nearby library patron shushed him.

"I think you should listen to what the public has to say and shush." Noah's attention was solely on the shelves, hoping Edgar Allan Poe and Jane Austen could hide his face. Although, he couldn't help but turn his attention to the window. Ashlynn's friends were slowly, but surely, leaving her to read. The thought of taking his chance crossed his mind, before he swatted it away. Allister caught the thought before it could leave, and threw it back into Noah's face.

"C'mon, Noey, please just speak to her! It's painful watching you hopelessly pine for somebody who was practically made for you." He sets the books on a nearby table they reach after walking along the shelves. Allister grabs his friend by the shoulders, and shakes him with each word he says. "Stop. Over. Thinking. Everything. You. Mumbling. Maniac. And. Just. Talk. To. The. Female."

Allister kept his dead look in his eye before chuckling, causing his panicked friend to laugh as well. He awkwardly patted Allister's arms. "Alright, alright, maybe I will talk to her just to keep you from shaking my brains out of my head."

"Yes!" Allister let go of his friend, shooting a fist in the air.

"Key word is maybe, you loon!" Noah and Allister both laughed, before being shushed by everyone in the library. They kept their craziness down to a minimum as they brought the books to the librarian. After they were checked out, Noah searched his body for his notorious messenger bad. Alas, it was gone.

"Dammit. Allister, can you go get-"

"Your messenger bag you left at the last desk in the fifth row right next to the window which has the best view of Ashy? Yes, yes I can, you idiot." Allister punched Noah jokingly as he slowly walked to the desk which might as well have Noah's name on it. As he ventured, he saw Ashlynn arise from her spot near the tree and enter the library. He smirked silently as he walked by her, waving kindly. He had an idea last minute, and took no time to think it through.

"Hey, Ashlynn, right?" He stopped her, her face slightly confused.

"Uh yeah! Do you need something?" She asked politely.

"No, I don't need something," He started, "but my friend over there does." He pointed his thumb casually to Noah, who was reading Pride and Prejudice for the third time. "His name's Noah, and he needs a bit of help analyzing some literature for his class. I've helped him all I could, but I hear you're quite an intelligent fellow."

She looks to Noah, her eyes trying to match his face to one she's seen in the past. Her eyebrows raise, neck slightly red, before going back to their normal state as she smiles at Allister.

"Well, I don't know who's saying all that about me, but I'm happy to help a fellow English major. Do you need any help?" She asked, but only because she was raised to. Allister was raised to read people, so he knew how to answer her.

"No, but thank you for helping my friend. I'm Allister, by the way." He holds out a hand, which she takes.

"I'll see you around, Allister." She waved him off as she walked to a Noah which had no idea of the surprise in store for him. Allister stole one glance of the scene, before walking to the desk, smiling victoriously. He didn't want to interrupt history in the making.