Chapter Eleven - A Fleeting Feeling

The impact of a boot to Noah's abdomen was the first noise to greet the otherwise silent room.

"Shit for brains, piece of garbage, goddammit," Allister was heard panicking after he escaped the psychological torture that is Noah's mind. "Wake up, ya bastard!"

Another kick was issued.

Noah let out a gasp as he violently jerked awake, holding his middle with one arm. His eyes poured secret tears. His breath hiccupping quietly.

"Finally, you're awake!" Allister ran his hand through his hair, letting out a breath of relief as he paced slightly. "What the fuck?!" The relief switched to justified anger as his pacing continued. "You said you would try! I can't get the hell out of your fucked up head unless you stop doing...whatever the shit that was!" His mouth ran obscenities, not bothering to glance at his one and only companion. "You took the whole vial, Noah, the whole vial. Do you know just how far this puts our goal? The worst part is I had to experience it, too! I tried my best to make you see, assface, just how-"

"I'm so sorry." A pathetic voice whispered, before shutting its eyes to helplessly prevent his waterworks.

Allister's voice trailed off as his anger faded into newfound pity. He slowly walked back to his friend, observing his vulnerable state.

Noah laid in the fetal position on the wood floor, both arms wrapped around his abdomen due to Allister's kicks, and the craving to feel her arms one last time. Hiccups and sobs escaped his mouth as he opened and shut his eyes multiple times. He hopelessly tried to take deep breaths, which was something Ashlynn would tell him to do. Oh, his beloved Ashlynn. She always knew what to say; the truth he needed to hear in each and every moment he asked.

"I'm so, so sorry." He whispered again, closing his eyes. Allister knew this time it was directed at the being in the room watching him now with empathy, instead of the pity so many others before him have given to Noah.

A tear fled his cheek as he regretted his former feelings of fury. Allister felt what Noah felt, yes, but he could only imagine the weight it carried on his friend. The heavy agony of realizing what reality actually was. The pain reliving the real memory he tried so hard to rid of. To suppress. To alter.

To change.

He settled on the floor next to his friend, sitting hunched over with his knees to his chest. He rested his head on them, sighing. Noah's cries and mumbles slowly faded into heavy breathing. The air in the room collapsed on both of their beings, making it difficult for either to get back up again.

Noah took an actual, full breath before speaking. "I know," He began, struggling to sit up on his side. "I know that was what actually happened."

Allister only nodded.

"I knew my perception of that moment had been modified. Those bones do a fucking wonder." They both exhaled in dark amusement. Noah got up enough to sit on his behind. "I couldn't handle the pain, Al. That's why I turned to them after she left. They make those blissful, beautiful moments feel like I'm walking into heaven with her." He smiled as another tear dropped onto the floor.

"Noey..." His friend spoke up, "You have to know they all didn't happen like that." He chose his words cautiously. "That's the trick the goblins use to sell it to poor, lonely people like you who've lost those closest. Not every moment was good, Noah, she didn't lo-"

Allister's eyes met Noah's as his next words were cut off by the cold, dead, psychotic stare his best friend impaled his non-existent soul. His eyes widened for a moment, taken aback that such feelings could be read with just one's eyes.

He kept his eyes locked with him for a few more long moments, just so the message could get across, before returning to their normal state. "On the topic of those bastards, we should probably go search for Bjorn."

"Probably?" Allister ignored the dramatic switch of emotion. "You mean absolutely go sort those low lives out with no plan? Fuck yeah."

Noah let out a small chuckle before struggling to stand. Allister stood, lending him a hand. He took it, head dizzy and legs shaky after spending too long collapsed in an uncomfortable position on a hard wooden floor. Allister laughed as his friend almost fell back onto him. He shoved him playfully, stretching.

"Get up, ya lazy bastard." He joked.

"'Damaged crying bastard,' you meant." Noah retorted, weakly hitting his friend back.

"I hate to bring this up," Allister took a step back. "But we have no supplies for the tunnel trip it takes to reach the goblins home." He moved his hands awkwardly, trying to get a message across.

Noah took that message loud and clear, looking to the door. The afternoon sun shone through the curtains to mock him. The quiet yet consistent buzz of the village reminded him of society. He sighed, facepalming as he laughed.

"You should see me now, Lynn." He mumbled to the ceiling before turning to Allister. "Well, time to take a trip to our lovely neighborhood grocer."

They looked to one another, smiling a 'what the fuck did we get ourselves into?' smile, before prepping to face the outside world.