𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑: 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐡

Start from the beginning

"What about the mission?"

At that moment, Bourne wanted to encourage her to keep going. But he and everyone else in this building knew that it would be too difficult for anyone to do it alone, that's why they agreed on bringing in Matthew.

Bourne was a very good friend of his parents. They went on a few missionary trips together in their youth when Bourne decided it was time to go into the Lord's true calling for him. He left the detective agency he was in to open the CCPA with a few others. Matthew's older brother, Adam, had been one of the first people to work on a mission with him. Warner, unfortunately, was the first they had to battle. They were so determined to catch him, Bourne could distinctly remember the great faith he had. He was such a strong person, with a sharp mindset too. 

Although pretty soon, things got out of hand. They hadn't defeated Warner that time. On one terrible day, Adam was in a chase with him down a highway. All of a sudden, one of Warner's men started spinning out in front of him. They had collided and an explosion was left to cover the evidence that it was, in fact, Warner's plan all along. Adam had died in that accident, and so did fifteen others. It felt too soon for such a young, determined soul to leave them. And Bourne had blamed himself.

Ever since then, he had lived with the faded memories. Bringing in Matthew was a big risk and an even bigger menace to the Warner mission. Now, it felt as if Adam's tragedy was returning.

He couldn't take it. He couldn't lose another person due to Warner's threats, especially someone like Matthew.

"Bourne, you still there?"

"Come back, Vanessa."

"What?"

"I said to come back. The mission is over."

"No, Bourne, we can still take down Warner, he isn't going to get away-"

"That is my final request, Agent Vaughen. You will obey orders before any more damage is done to your team. In the meantime, I'll get Matthew transferred to another hospital and contact the others."

A few seconds of silence lasted before Vanessa's voice appeared to be more clearer in his ear, sounding more angry than sad.

"Yes, sir."

He put the receiver down, sinking deeper into his chair. The door was closed, the blinds were only half-opened. Clouds blocked the sun and rain started to pound on the windows.

He leaned back and rested his head. The pounding still occurred and his body started to feel cold. The room became darker. He had never felt more alone in his building.

His chest had calmed down to normal breathing, his eyes shut tight as he tried to ignore the little whispers as thoughts of fear paraded his mind. 

He had been running the CCPA for over twenty years. Yet throughout everything he had been through to get to this point, he could tell this was the most draining experience of all.

That's when he heard a clear, strong voice whisper in his heart.

"You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"

Bourne opened his eyes, looking up at the dark ceiling. He answered the voice in his head.

I don't know... I don't know anything, anymore. I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't know if I can handle what's going to happen in the future... I'm scared.

Fear can be overpowering. To be afraid can be overwhelming. Uncertainty in hard times and not knowing what to do when things go wrong can make your mind focus on things that are not going to make the situation better.

But in a world full of failure, sin, incompetence, grief and loss, there can be a single ray of light that can save us from the darkness.

Even when all feels hopeless, you can still have faith...

"What do I do now, God?" Bourne cried.

A/N

Ephesians 6:12 says -
"For our struggles are not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."