eighteen - clarity

Mulai dari awal

She wanted what they have, security and family. Was it too much of a crime to covet such a thing?

“I believe you.” Jacob nodded. “Thank you.”

“I won’t let your trust in me be in vain.” Nathaniel smiled. “Now go before your teammates see you in this crying mess.”

Jacob nodded and wiped the tears in his eyes and left after giving Nathaniel one big hug. He ran towards the group of young boys, dressed in their sports attire. All that remained was her and Nathaniel.

Nervousness took control of her as she steps forward. She took a sharp breath and formed her lips into a wry and tired smile.

“How are you feeling?” He asked, cupping her cheek.

Katie leaned against his warm calloused hand. By the time she meets her mate, will he be this gentle with her? Will he look at her with love instead of disdain the moment she tells him about her human side and sickness? Will he hold her tightly?

She looked at Nathaniel, seeing his caring side shine. She didn’t want someone like Nathaniel. What she longed for was him.

“Alpha…can I speak to you in private?” She struggled to say the words under her tongue.

His expression contorted into a serious and worried look.

“Of course,” He answered. “Follow me upstairs.”

His tall composure and burly body shadowed over her as she followed him through the packhouse. Nathaniel brought her to the second-floor balcony, where the wind blew roughly. She knew him well enough that this was his favorite place in the pack. On the balcony, he was able to look after his pack. He could see their happiness and in turn, their happiness made him happy.

Nathaniel leans against the railing as he waited for her to speak.

All that she could think of was how was she going to say the words in her heart? She didn’t want to blurt out everything. What would he think of her when she confessed that she wanted him not the prospect of love but for her to never grace the searing pain of rejection?

There were other ways of saying things and maybe one day, he would forgive her if she told him the truth.

“I saw Rosemary walk out of the pack gates. Did you talk to her?” He lowered his head.

“She was looking for Lukas but she didn’t stick around long enough for a conversation and well, she was carrying someone else’s child.”

He nods. “I’m aware of that. I can smell her and the child she was carrying from a mile away.”

“Did you also recognize the scent? I know what someone with a Remmington’s blood smells like. They’re the monsters that killed my parents.”

“No, but Rosemary is a wolf of the Remmingtons after all. Though if I may be honest, I did not expect her to be a mate with someone from the main family. If only we could get the chance to see their reclusive Alpha’s face, we’d stand a chance to finally destroying them.” Nathaniel spoke. “But enough of that, I’ve arranged for our border patrolmen to not let her enter our lands again. You don’t need to worry about her anymore.”

“Thank you, Nate. But that’s not what I’m here for.” She breathed.

There’s nothing wrong with being selfish. She was only looking out for herself. Everything that she was doing was only to keep herself alive.

“Tell me, what I can for you?” He asks.

“My brother… I don’t want to end up just like him.” She trembled.